A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of September 24, 2018
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- BOY Reading Benchmarks ALL WEEK
- Dyslexia Screener (Gr 1) Friday and following Monday
- Math District Checkpoints (Gr 3-5) Monday-Wednesday
- Writing Baseline Assessment (Gr K-5) Monday-Wednesday
- Fire & Lockdown Drill on Monday, September 24 at 8:30 am **TENTATIVE**
- MANDATORY ALL STAFF Insurance Open Enrollment Meeting on Monday, September 24 at 3:30 pm
- Bears for Books (Gr 3) on Tuesday, September 25 at 9:15-9:45 am
- Bears for Books (G 3) on Thursday, September 27 at 10:45-11:15 am
- Behavior PLCs on Thursday, September 27
- Mayborn STEM Activity Activity (Gr 4) on Friday, September 28 (Times: 8:15 (Martinez), 9:00 (Frost), 9:45 (Palmer), 10:30 (Foreman)
- Report Card Grades due Friday, September 27
- TTESS Goals & SLO (Part 1 & 2) due Friday, September 27
Coming Up: CDMC Meeting on 10/2 (Grade level rep required); Hero Night on 10/16
From Your Captain
Sign up for our staff REMIND message system and receive important news via text. To sign up, enter the number 81010 and text this message: @avesta
Email custodial issues to Mrs. Logan and Ms. Bonnie. Make sure you are stacking your chairs everyday so it's easier for our team to sweep your floors.
Don't forget to document parent communication in Branching Minds. If you are not sure how, check in with Mrs. Helton.
Discuss with your class the power of hurtful words. Brainstorm appropriate ways to respond to hurtful words, and things students can do when they are upset and feel like saying unkind things.
Each grade level and/or team will need to plan 1-2 learning activities in either reading, math, or science with a "hero" theme. Document your plans on here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E241q6eOh4VTSaIH34cx7zDsdTltJIa6OJgLW6agTNo/edit?usp=sharing
Please have your grade level plans submitted by Friday, September 21 so we can get purchases done. If you are not sure about your ideas, come talk to Mrs. Helton. We would love to give out some learning activities to families, so be creative! Oriental Trading is a great place to start.
**If you have ideas on how to incorporate community heroes into our event, please let Mrs. Helton know! Maybe you know a fireman, policeman, veteran, or other hero that would like to share information with our families.
There are forms in both Spanish and English. We have a LOT of high achieving students that we need to seriously consider for GT this year. Let's get those nominations rolling!
While Mrs. Helton won't be available to do this Makerspace project on "Talk Like A Pirate" Day, you are still welcome to check out the cart that day and do it on your own! The directions and materials are all ready to go.
FREE Literacy Event
LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION! We are rolling out the red carpet for KYLENE BEERS and BOB PROBST!
I wanted to invite you to the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH….well almost…instead how about a night with the GREATEST DUO in ADOLESCENT LITERACY?? We are super excited about having Kylene Beers and Bob Probst in the Waco area….reserve your spot now so you don’t get left out! Come one, come all….feel free to invite your teachers/principals/literacy coaches to this special literacy event!
See invitation below for more details.