News from the Band Room
Week of September 5, 2022
Welcome Ms. Hoff!
First Day -7th/8th Grade Only!
First Week- 6th grade Only!
Band Blast Off-6th grade families only!
Band Blast Off is our after school start-up program for students who were either unable to attend Band Starts Now! during the summer or those who would like extra review. Students who were unable to attend Band Starts Now! the week of August 22, should plan on attending Band Blast Off during the first week of school.
Classes are divided into two sections based on the instrument that students are playing. All classes will meet from 3:35-4:30 PM in the band room:
- Flute/Clarinet/Trumpet: Tuesday & Wednesday, September 6 & 7
- Trombone/Euphonium/Tuba: Thursday & Friday, September 8 & 9
An activity bus will be available to take students who normally ride the bus home after each class. Please note that this bus covers the entire PVMS boundary area and may take a bit longer than normal to drop your student off.
Missed Open House? No Problem!
Additionally we will be sizing all remaining students for concert shirts on Tuesday & Wednesday. Please see below for information about this year's concert shirts and related fees.
Information From Previous Newsletters
What do students need for band this year?
1. Your band instrument in good playing condition. You may be renting already from Ward Brodt, own an instrument or using a school instrument. The key is to make sure it is working properly!
2. A pencil - keep one in band folder or instrument case.
3. Band Folder-you will receive this on the first day of class.
4. A Small Group Lesson Book "Student Instrumental Course" Book 1 for woodwind and brass players. Percussionists will use "Alfred Snare Drum Book" and the "Fresh Approach to Mallet Percussion" book.
6. Woodwind musicians make sure you have a box of good reeds to start the year.
7. Brass players should have valve oil and slide grease.
8. Percussionists should make sure they have all of the necessary mallets and sticks needed for this year. Consult the supply list linked below for more information. Make sure your sticks/mallets and clearly labeled with your name and keep them in a stick bag.
Instrument Rentals and Supplies
If your student still needs to rent an instrument or order supplies, please click on the appropriate link below to visit the Ward-Brodt website. Be sure to select "free school delivery" so your student's materials will be delivered directly to prairie View. Financial assistance is available; please reach out to Mr. Quaglieri or Mrs. Gleason to learn more.
IMPORTANT: Students playing the euphonium, tuba, french horn, saxophone, oboe, bassoon, bass clarinet and percussion should NOT rent an instrument through Ward-Brodt. These instruments are rented exclusively through the school and the rental fee will be put on your student's Infinite Campus account. (see below)
PLEASE NOTE: The "Warmups and Beyond" book was accidentally added to the eighth grade Ward-Brodt list, however students DO NOT need to order this book. We are working to change this as soon as possible.
Euphonium and Tuba Rentals
School Owned Instrument Rental Fees
Concert Schedule and Attendance
Concerts are an extension of the band classroom and the learning that takes place every day. Music was created to be shared and not performed in isolation (or in the band room only). For this reason, we need to perform for an audience in order to share the wealth of learning that has taken place. This sharing helps the students to bring closure to the learning process and also propels them towards the next step in the journey. Student participation in concerts is vital to the success of all the students involved. Please make every effort to have your child be a part of these experiences. We are happy to talk to coaches & organization leaders to help navigate scheduling concerns as long as we have prior notice. If you have a reason to miss any performance, please contact your teacher as soon as possible prior to the concert date.
Concert attire is black pants and your student’s black Prairie View music shirt.
All students participating in a Prairie View music ensemble will be getting a Prairie View music shirt that will be worn as a concert uniform. A one-time course fee of $20 will be added to your student's infinite campus account to cover the cost of the shirt. If students grow out of their shirt before the end of 8th grade, we will exchange it for a bigger size free of charge.
Dark shoes are highly encouraged but not required.
Keep in mind that your student may go through several sizes of pants over the next two years…we recommend purchasing cheap pants for the time being. As long as they are black, they will work!
Infinite Campus Fee Waivers
Photo Opt Out Form
Find Us Online!
You can also "like" us on Facebook (Sun Prairie Bands), follow us on Twitter (@SPBands), and follow us on instagram (PVMSBand) for even more news and updates throughout the year!