Beginning of the Year AR Checklist
AR/STAR Teacher Helper Link: https://goo.gl/f374M7
1. Administer STAR Test to Students
2. Print STAR Reading Levels
- Print Reading Range Report in STAR
- Print Parent Report. Highlight ZPD. Send home for signature
3. Set INDIVIDUAL Point Goal for Each Student
- Use AR Program to set goals. See AR Teacher Helper (Recording student goals section) for directions on how to do this. The program will set the recommended goal.
- Use your knowledge of the student and your classroom to make modifications of goal. Don't forget to SAVE.
4. Record Reading Level and Goal in Library Folder
- Melissa Kesler has a FABULOUS system for printing reading levels on labels.
- Consider placing this information INSIDE the folder for privacy.
5. Conference With EACH Student about Point Goal and Reading Level
- This is IMPERATIVE! It does not have to take a long time.
- Make sure the goal is recorded in library folder!
- This 9 week goal should be pretty simple since we are running out of time.
6. Record Blocks in AR Program (so student can't read above/below level without permission)
- See Teacher Helper for directions on doing this step.
7. Plan to Meet With Students On a REGULAR Basis
- You set the schedule on this. Whatever works for you.
- You MUST periodically check-in (once a week, maybe) on students.
8. Print Student Record in AR Once a Week
- Print Student Record on Fridays and check on how students are doing.
- This is your time to brag on each child, encourage each child, find out if there is a problem.
- If students are reading short books, there is NO REASON why they shouldn't test weekly. If they are working on a chapter book, not testing each week is understandable.
- Are students reading at the high end of their ZPD? Are they having success? If not, encourage them to check out books on the lower end.
- Are students successful on their quizzes? If not, determine the reason and work with the child to rectify the problem.