Neil Armstrong Elementary
Dr. Stevenson's Weekly News- Week 32
Here are some updates:
- Happy birthday to our custodian Brian Hess on Sunday!
- Check out the videos below of one of our acts from Friday night as well as a great clip of some of our 2nd grade students READING to me! They sure were happy to get their "Smart" beads :)
- Thank you to our instructional coach Carrie Reed and literacy coach Jenni Watkins for their work at our early out PD last Wednesday. They did a great job of sharing relevant articles, research, and mixed it with some hands-on collaborative conversations about what we can do in our own classrooms to improve Tier I academics and behavior while building community. Thanks to Danielle and the PBIS committee for their work to share some best practices for Tier I PBIS classroom systems. Also, thank you to Chris Like for leading us through a STEM simulation. It was a busy afternoon of learning together! A link to the classroom PBIS non-negotiables is listed below. #growthmindset
- We will have our NA Volunteer Appreciation Tea on Monday April 27th at 3:30 in the library. I would really like it if all staff could stop in and say thank you to our volunteers even if you cannot stay the whole time. We will need a lot of hands on deck as Sally is not able to be there to coordinate due to her daughter having the baby on Friday.
- NA PTA meeting is Monday night at 6:30. I don't have the sign up sheet with me, but please check to see which two staff members are our school representatives for this month.
- We will not have formal grade level collaboration meetings this week as I want you to use this time for class list planning. 1st grade does have their meeting on Tuesday as they are regrouping for MTSS with Lauren and Holly.
- We have 4th, 2nd, and preschool going on field trips this week. Please be sure to have your bus arranged, supervision set up, parents notified, etc.
- The busy season is upon us with concerts, etc. and I would invite you to take some time to celebrate what our kids can do outside of the classroom if your schedule permits. Tuesday night at 7 is a district band concert at BHS and Thursday night at 7 is a district orchestra concert at BHS. The kids love to see their teachers there!
- Kudos to all of the hands-on learning that happened last week including tree planting by 4th grade, biography research project final work by 4th grade, roller skating by PTA, and talent show acts by staff and students! What a busy and fun week!
- Thank you to all of you who pitched in to help while Rock-It Academy staff and I were away in Des Moines presenting at the state Iowa Afterschool Alliance conference with the Department of Education. The presentation was a great way for us to share what NA is doing with the rest of the state and we got some useful feedback and were able to network with other programs.
- The talent and art show was very well attended! I did a rough count of over 215 people including the performers. Our kids and STAFF sure have lots of vocal, dancing, comedy, instrumental, etc. talent to be proud of!
- Also, congratulations again to Adrianna Love for bringing home the BCSF trophy from 80s night the week before! Our school act of Danielle, Colleen, and Danielle did an outstanding job and the audience loved it! It really means a lot to the Foundation to always see NA teachers and parents there at their events!
- The school calendar is an ongoing discussion. It was board approved last week, but now possibly needs another revision to make it work for 16-17. Patty and I will be meeting with Dr. Schutte and Celeste some time this week to plan.
April 27-May 1
Monday April 27
8:00 Speech IEP w/Peg
9:00 5th grade student/parent meeting w/Officer Bennett
9:40 5th grade collaboration meeting (use this time for class lists)
10:40 4th grade collaboration meeting (use this time for class lists)
1:45 Kindergarten collaboration meeting (use this time for class lists)
3:30 Volunteer Tea in library
7:00 NA PTA meeting
Tuesday April 28
7:45 Behavior Data Team
8:35 2nd grade collaboration meeting (use this time for class lists)
10:45 3rd grade collaboration meeting (use this time for class lists)
11:15 Wonders meeting w/Jenni
12:45 1st grade collaboration meeting (Data team meeting for re-grouping)
1:30 Elementary principals' meeting
7:00 5th grade band concert at PAC
Wednesday April 29
9:00 Imagine Learning demonstration @ district w/Jenni & Carrie
9:00-2:00 4th grade field trip to Lock and Dam
12:30-3:30 Orchestra phone interviews w/elem principals @ Admin
3:30 IEP w/Ellen & Scott
4:00 Mentor/Mentee celebration @ district (Adrianna, Patty, Lauren, Trisha, Lisa)
Thursday April 30
8:00 Title I/RR/MTSS meeting w/Lauren, Holly, Trisha, Carrie, Jenni
8:30-11:30 Principals seminar at AEA for Lisa
9:00 Preschool field trip to Family Museum
1:30 Wonders workshop model planning meeting @ NA for Jenni, Kaye, etc.
2:00 PK data team
3:00 Girl Scouts planning meeting w/BMS student @ NA
7:00 4th/5th orchestra concert @ PAC
Friday May 1
9:00 Weekly school counselors' meeting
10:45 NA weekly office meeting
11:15 PK/K transition meeting w/Brooke and Kay
1:00-4:00 Elementary Instructional Technology Integration interviews @ District
1:00 2nd grade field trip to BHS planetarium
2:10 4th grade biography open house @ NA