What's Up at Whitney?
4/8/2016 Weekly Update
We are all disappointed by seeing more snow during Spring in April, than we saw in any month this winter!
And the way it sounds, tonight and tomorrow we will see much more.
Be patient. Spring's warm caress and explosion of color are coming soon!
State Testing - SO MUCH INVOLVED!
APRIL STRONGSVILLE LIBRARY EVENTS
Please note the following April 2016 events at the Strongsville Branch Library. Registration is required for most events. Please call (440) 238-5530 to register or for more information. All events sponsored by our Friends of Strongsville Branch Library. Customers may also visit www.cuyahogalibrary.org to register and to see more library event information.
- Year-Round Storytimes! Cuyahoga County Public Library offers story time sessions year-round for children Birth to Age 5. Our current story time sessions are in full swing. Please call the library for more information about our story time sessions.
- Native Plants: Rugged Easy-Care Survivors: Tuesday, April 12th from 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. Join us for this special presentation by the Master Gardeners of Cuyahoga County. Native plants possess certain traits that make them uniquely adapted to our local conditions. These plants have evolved over a long period of time in response to the climate, soil, rainfall, drought, and frost conditions of our area. In addition, native plants can match cultivated plants in beauty while often surpassing non-natives in ruggedness and resistance to insects and disease.
- Just 4 U Student Friends Meeting: Ages 10 – 18. Saturday, April 16th from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Join the Just 4 U Student Friends and volunteer at the library! We meet once a month on Saturday at 2 pm to help with special library projects or community projects. We have a lot of fun, so join us! Please stop by the library for an application form.
- Teen Poetry Night: Grades 6 – 12. Monday, April 18th from 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Join us for a coffeehouse poetry night. We will share poetry, write some impromptu poems, and enjoy beverages and refreshments. Win a door prize!
- Strongsville: The Early Years: Tuesday, April 19th from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. Carol Williams, Strongsville Historical Society member, will share the highlights of Strongsville's first 100 years as part of Strongsville's bicentennial birthday celebration. Come hear about the beginnings of Strongsville including neighborhoods, people, and businesses. A short Strongsville Historical Society meeting will precede the presentation.
- Whooo’s Ready for School? Kindergarten Readiness – Writing. Ages 4 – 5 with a Caregiver. Friday, April 29th from 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. Help your preschooler make the transition into their first year of school. Explore hands-on activity stations as we explore building writing skills. Registration begins on Friday, April 15th at 9:00 a.m.
Whitney Carnival...Wrap up
A huge THANK YOU to Karen Kantzes and the PTA volunteers who helped make the Whitney Carnival a success last Friday night. It was a busy evening that was lots of fun for the entire Whitney community. Special thanks to all of the staff members who supported the carnival by helping with set-up and clean-up, or by bringing their families to the event. It's great to see our whole Whitney community working together. And, finally, THANK YOU to everyone who brought their families to the carnival. The kids had a great time, as always.
(Note from Jeff - I have photos on my phone, but this week, I have not been able to get them to send to my email! Hopefully I'll get that straightened out to include in next week's newsletter.)
Dates to Remember
- 8th - Friday - Rockin at the Rec – Neon - 6:30-9:00
- 12th - Tues-13th - Wed - AIR Tests - SocSt (G4/6) & Sci (G5)
- 15th - Friday - Domino's Pizza Night
- 23rd - Saturday - 7pm at SHS- Drake Jump Rope Club Community Show
- 25th-29th - Staff Appreciation Week
- 26th - Tuesday - Early Release Day - 2:30
- 26th - Tuesday - Sylvan Robotics Activity - Whitney Gym - 4:00