Teaching To and From the Heart to Engage All Learners
Thank-You For Visiting and Taking the Time to Get to Know Me!
Starting with the 2019-2020 school year, I became a middle school Design Technology teacher. Here is my webpage with learning highlights.
I am happy to cheer other educators on in educational technology! I love coaching educators to bring innovative teaching and learning to classrooms of all levels. From computer science and physical computing to engineering projects and design thinking, I have a passion for engaging students in activities that will not only prepare them for the future, but also make them excited to come to school each day! In 2019 I made the switch from elementary to middle school and became a Design Technology Teacher, focusing mainly on STEAM project-based learning.
Come visit my blog, The EdTech Cheerleader, and be sure to check out the Technology Tidbits. My class webpage is also a great resource. You can also visit Look! I'm Learning to learn more about the educational documentary that my class and I were shown in! In 2013, I traveled to many technology conferences to host showings and foster conversations on BYOD in the elementary classroom.
In addition to cheering others on in technology...I also have a passion for creativity! I have been a Destination Imagination Coordinator and Team Manager for most of my career. My love for creative problem solving began as a 6th grader when I participated in Odyssey of the Mind. Destination Imagination is just like Odyssey of the Mind. DI has everything a 21st Century student needs! It has all elements of Project Based Learning, and it is one of the best programs out there for extracurricular K-12! I encourage you to look it up and see how you can bring it to your area!
With creativity at the core of my soul, I was ecstatic when the Imagination Foundation selected me to run an Imagination Chapter pilot for them. Due to changes to the ending time of my school, I was only able to run the chapter for 2 years. Check out the impact it had on the students at Hornung Elementary in Brighton! I still participate in the chapter activities with my own students at Glengary.
I am also passionate about helping others with their technology integration. As part of the America Achieves Fellowship, I was able to help launch the Innovation Classroom website, a platform that allows teachers to see sample lessons of technology integration in the classroom. Check out Innovation Classroom today!
Michigan State University: Masters of Art in Curriculum and Teaching with a Certificate in Educational Technology. 2002-2004
Western Michigan University: Bachelors of Science in Elementary Teaching, Math and Science, Integrated Creative Arts, and Early Childhood Development. 1994-1998
Professional Teaching Experiences
Walled Lake Consolidated School District, Glengary Elementary. Third Grade Teacher: 2001-2019. All subjects. Clifford Smart Middle School 2019-present. Design Technology Teacher
Webberville Community Schools, Webberville Elementary. Sixth Grade Teacher: 2000-2001. All subjects and K-6 Summer School Math and Reading.
Grand Blanc Community Schools, Cook Elementary. First Grade Teacher: 1999-2000. All subjects.
2019 MACUL K-12 Tech Using Teacher of the Year
Glengary PTA Gator of the Year Award
Glengary Elementary Teacher of the Year 2019 and District Teacher of the Year Finalist
Henry Ford Teacher Innovator Award 2018
PTA Service Award 2018
Teach to Lead Team Member: US Dept. of Education. I was on a team to bring computational thinking into the classroom. February 2016
Michigan Educator Voice Fellow 2015
Edmodo: Certified Edmodo Trainer, Ambassador, and Distinguished Mentor
STEM Star for September 2013: MI STEM Partnership
Nominee for 2014 Michigan Teacher of the Year
Glengary Elementary Teacher of the Year 2006
PTA Service Award
Member of the International Society for Technology in Education 2012-2020
Member of Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning 2009-Present
EdCamp Detroit: 2011-2017. Organization Team 2012-2017
Member of the Walled Lake Educational Association: 2001-Present
Michigan Educational Association and National Education Association: 1999-Present
Member of Michigan Creativity Association 1999-Present
CS for Michigan 2021: Let's Get Physical with Computing
REMC 2021: Making at Home
Maker Summit 2019: Let's Get Physical with Coding
Nerd Camp 2018: MAKE-ing the Most of Reading. I presented with author, Bryan Chick, on how to incorporate making into a reading curriculum.
NCTM 2017 Annual Conference: April 2017 Using SumBlox in Elementary
My Blend Summer Learning:
July 2016: Lightning Bug Talk and Panel Presenter
-Building a Community of Learners with Blended Learning
CUE 2016 Conference in Palm Springs, CA: The STEAM Playground
Oakland Schools Summer Digital Learning Conference:
August 2015: The STEAM Playground
August 2016: Digital Tools for Formative Assessment
CUE Rockstar Camp Faculty Member: July 2015: Cultivating Creativity with Google, The STEAM Playground, and BYOD in the Elementary.
NovaNow Conference: February 2014: Creative Play=Engaged Learning
Ann Arbor Ignite: November 2014: Taking Time to Nurture Passion
Michigan Edmodo Meet-Up: Facilitated a 3 hour training on Edmodo, featuring their newest feature: Snapshot. August 2014
Maker Faire Detroit
July 2015: I organized a #MichEd Maker Connection booth and several educators from around Michigan joined the booth to highlight Maker activities and tools that are being used in classrooms.
July 2014: My students and I created a Genius Hour booth that showed others how to make their own sugar scrub and paracord bracelets.
MiGoogle Conference: Presenter and Session Evaluator 2012-2015.
- 2012: Elementary Enthusiasm for Google
- 2013: Featured Speaker: Let Google Showcase Learning in Your Classroom:
- 2014: Elementary Enthusiasm for Google, Cultivating Creativity with Google, and the Closing Demo Slam!
- 2015: Creative Play with Google Tools
- 2016: Multimedia Tools with Google and Coding in the Classroom (Both 3-Hour Workshops)
Global STEMx Conference Presenter: October 2013
21st Century Learning Symposium Presenter: St. Clair RESA
- 2013: Look I'm Learning and BYOD in the Classroom
- 2014: Dig Into Learning with Minecraft
- 2015: The STEAM Playground and Digital Tools for Formative Assessment
ISTE Conference Presenter: 2012-Present
- 2012: Engage with Edmodo in the Elementary Classroom
- 2013: Look I'm Learning Viewing and Panel (Featured Session), 1 iPad + 1 Teacher = 2 Many Awesome Things to Share, ISTE Ignite: The Rewards of Risk Taking, Mobile Mega Share: Look I'm Learning, Mobile Learning Playground: BYOD.
- 2014: Dig Into STEM with Minecraft PE Poster Session, ISTE Ignite: Taking the Time to Nurture Student Passion, EdTech Start-Up PitchFest with News-O-Matic (3rd Place), and Edmodo Snapshot Presentations at Edmodo booth.
- 2015: Digital Tools for Formative Assessment and several presentations at the Edmodo booth on Edmodo Integration.
- 2016: Imagination Chapters: Creativity at It's Best, and several presentations at the Edmodo booth and the Plickers booth.
- 2017: Get to Know Computational Thinking Poster Session and panel presenter on Makerspaces.
- 2018: Let's MAKE a Deal: Interactive game show on makerspaces. Get to Know Computational Thinking Poster Session.
- 2019: Battle of the EdTech Stars , Get to Know Computational Thinking Poster Session, and MAKE-ing the Most of the Curriculum 3-hour workshop.
- 2020: Battle of the EdTech Stars: Maker Mayhem, Get to Know Computational Thinking Poster, and Let's Get Physical with Computing.
MACUL Conference Presenter: 2010-Present
- 2010: Skype in the Classroom
- 2011: Engage with Edmodo in Classroom
- 2012: Engaging Edtech for the Elementary Classroom
- 2013: 1 iPad + 1 Teacher= 2 Many Awesome Things to Share, Think Before You Spend: The Story of the Brighton Schools Bond and Vision, Look I'm Learning and BYOD, Connect, Create, and Communicate Using Google, and Edmodo: Connecting, Collaborating, and Building Community, Storybird: Let Students' Creative Writing Take Flight (2hr.)
- 2014: Edmodo Appy Hour, Dig Into Learning with Minecraft PE
- 2015: Digital Tools for Formative Assessment, Cultivating Creativity Through Digital Tools, Making Student Passion a Priority, and Lightning Session: Nurturing Student Passion.
- 2016: A Maker in Any Space, Full STEAM Ahead with Creative Play, and ran a booth for a full day with my students at the MACUL Makerspace.
- 2017: Full STEAM Ahead with Creative Play and MACUL Makerspace Planning Committee/Presenter.
- 2018: Bring Making Into Your Classroom, as well as student makerspace presenters and MACUL Makerspace Planning Committee.
- 2019: MAKE-ing the Most of Your Curriculum and Maker Panel. MACUL Makerspace Planning Committee and student presenters.
- 2020: Let's Get Physical with Computing, Bring Making to Your Classroom, and Fun with Formative Assessment.
- 2021: STEAM Projects in a Pandemic Learning Environment and Let's Get Physical with Computing.
- 2022: Let's Get Physical with Computing and The Awesomeness of Google Applied Digital Skills.
Best of MACUL Conference Presenter: July 2013, August 2014
Look I’m Learning: My classroom was featured in this documentary. January 2013
Governor’s Education Summit: Presenter with Look I’m Learning April 2013
4 T Virtual Conference: Closing Keynote Speaker with Look I’m Learning May 2013
FETC Presenter and Featured Session: 2013 BYOD and Look I'm Learning
Spice It Up Presenter: Walled Lake Schools Technology Conference 2004-Present
EdmodoCon Presenter: August 2011
MACUL Teaching and Learning in the Clouds Presenter: 2010-2011
Untangling the Web by Adam Bellow and Steve Dembo
Integrating Technology in the Classroom: Tools To Meet the Needs of Every Student by Boni Hamilton
Classroom in the Cloud by Nick Provenzano
Makers in Schools by EduMatch Publishing
In the News
Rubin, C.M. (2012, February). The Global Search for Education: Social Learning: Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/c-m-rubin/the-global-search-for-edu_61_b_2729435.html
Garland, Christine. (2013, September). Putting BYOD to Work: Jennifer Bond's Classroom. Retrieved from http://blog.remind.com/putting-byod-to-work-jennifer-bonds-classroom/
Michigan CS Playbooks