by: LaDayshia Wallace
Cause and Effects of the Depression
- The wall street crash was when the stock prices had become both a symbol and a source of wealth during the prosperous 1920's.
- causes of the wall street crash where uneven distribution of income, stock market speculation, excessive use of credit, overproduction of consumer goods,weak farm economy, government policies, and global economic problems.
- the effects of the crash were that people starved, businesses became bankrupt, and unemployment rose.
- responding to the worldwide depression was the hawley smoot tariff, Debt Morartorium.
- hoover was convinced that some government action was needed to pull the us economy out of its doldrums. Federal Farm Board.
- Despair and protest by 1932 millions of employed workers and Reconstruction finance corporation
- the election of 1932 was when hoover renominated
Franklin D. Roosevelt new deal
- FDR was an only child of a wealthy family
- the deal philosophy delete with the three r's, brain trust and other advisers
- the first hundred days was when roosevelt called congress into an hundred day special session.
- other programs of the first new deal were the civil works administration, the securities and exchange commission, etc.
the second new deal
- relief programs were works progress administration, resettlement administration
- reforms were the national labor relations act, rural electrification administration
- the reform that for generations afterwards would affect the lives of nearly all americans was the passage in 1935.
- the election of 1936 was when the economy was improoved