2nd Grade Scoop
Mayfield Junior School - November 16, 2015
Mayfield Honors Veterans
Mindfulness Lessons with Mrs. Reedy
Reading is Your Golden Ticket!
Donuts with Dads and Special Friends
Dad's and special friends, join us for a special morning of snacks and the Book Fair in the HPAC. Tuesday and Wednesday are divided by last names, with A-L on Tuesday, and M-Z on Wednesday. (If you can't make your day, please come on the other day!) You will find your child's Book Fair wish list on-file at the Book Fair. Validated parking will be available in the Sheraton/Convention Center parking lot between Cordova and Green on November 17 and 18 for Donuts with Dads, 7-8 am. Lot entrances are on Marengo, Euclid and Cordova. Parking is available on a first come, first served basis. Bring the parking slip you receive to MJS, and we'll provide a validation ticket in the HPAC at the Euclid Avenue entrance. Parking is free with validation only; you will need both the parking slip and validation ticket to exit the parking lot.
Collecting for a project
- Pray before and after meals; use a formal prayer or make up one of your own
- Pray together at bedtime
- Pray for victims of tragic events, such as the people in Paris
- Pray for people in your lives who are sick or having a hard time
- Pray a short prayer of thanksgiving when something wonderful happens
- Pray for those in danger or hurt when you hear a siren
- Pray a prayer of praise for something beautiful like a sunset or a spectacular view
- Set aside a special time or place for prayer; a sacred space with a cross or candle
Dates to Check
- This week: free dress for summer readers!
- Book Fair continues, ending on 11/19 at 11:00am
- Donuts with Dads (7:00-8:00am) - A-L on Tuesday, 11/17; M-Z on Wednesday, 11/18
- Thanksgiving Prayer Service - Tuesday, 11/24
- Thanksgiving Break - Wednesday-Friday, 11/25 - 11/27
- Advent Prayer Service - Monday, 11/30 at 8:00am
- First and Second Grade Christmas Concert - 12/9
- Cornelia Connelly Mass (lead by 2nd grade) - 1/14/16
- Play at the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse - 4/12/16
- Field Trip to the Cathedral - 5/4/16
Spelling Words for 11/16 - Long /e/ words, spelled "ee" and "ea"
* exceptions to the rules
- Does dust make you sneeze?
- Many people watched the parade.
Study tips from our Spelling book!
- Studying each night is very important; try studying with a family member
- Make crosswords with a family member; write a spelling word in boxes then have a family member write another one off one of the letters; keep taking turns.
- Write each word big on a slip of paper; cut up the words and work with a family member to put them back together
- With a family member, take turns thinking of a clue for a spelling word; the other person guesses the word and spells it correctly.
News From Technology Class
We are learning a new keyboarding program in technology class called TypingClub. The program is fully web-based, so students can use it to practice keyboarding in class, at home, or anywhere an internet connection can be found. We highly encourage practice at home! Even 15-20 minutes a day can make a big difference. The most important thing for your child to focus on while practicing is to avoid looking at the keyboard while typing and proper posture.
To log in to your child's TypingClub account, go to the following login URL: https://mayfieldjs.typingclub.com
Username: whole first name and first letter of last name (ex. leahw) Password: mayfield