Trocaire College Libraries
What is considered plagiarism?
- Copying something word for word without citing the original source.
- Rewriting something in your own words (paraphrasing) without citing the original source.
- Passing off another’s paper as your own.
- Passing off a paper of your own from a previous course as new.
To avoid plagiarism you should...
Research your research paper!
- The more you know, the more you can understand and write about your topic.
- Use our research log or graphic organizer to keep track of your information and ideas.
- This research calculator from Fresno State can help you track your time.
If you quote or paraphrase (write in your own words), you must cite your source.
You must also do the following for any research you mention, but did not conduct yourself:
- Create an in-text citation whenever you quote or paraphrase.
- Each resource is listed in your Reference and Works Cited page.
- Use our APA and MLA citation resources for proper formatting.
- Start early! Do not wait until the last minute to research and write your paper.
Be an original!!
Use your own words and thoughts in your paper!!