Important Upcoming Dates-
- NO SCHOOL 11.25-29
- December 2-6th: Toy Drive
- December 4th 6:30-8pm: Technology Use and Physical Health: How to Support Your Child’s Physical Health in a Digital World at the Wilmette Junior High School Auditorium
December 6th: Harper Movie Night of The Grinch, hosted by the PTO. Drop your child at school on Friday, December 6, at 6 pm. Support the school and take a little time to holiday shop. Registration below
Hello Harper Parents/Guardians,
I want to wish everyone a great Thanksgiving break! I hope it is filled with quality time spent with friends and family, eating delicious food, and most of all, some rest and relaxation. This is a perfect time to reflect and think about what we are grateful for… I am grateful for being at a school with such kind and insightful students, a staff that is dedicated and student-centered, and parents that are positive and supportive. As a community, I encourage you to join me. HERE is a platform for all of us to come together as one community to share what we are grateful for!
I am also very excited to share more information about KEEP39, our Kindergarten Enrichment and Enhancement Program. HERE is an informational flyer that explains more about this half day program. KEEP39 will be at Harper for the 2020-21 School Year for Harper students only. Please email me with any more questions! And please spread the word about KEEP39 with registration taking place in January.
Have a great week and Happy Thanksgiving!
Parent Planning Notes:
December Food Menu Information: District 39 is committed to providing a school environment that promotes healthy lifestyles including healthy nutrition. The Nutrition Committee, made up of parents, school leaders and staff will be working with Food Services to conduct trials of several new menu items throughout the year. New items are being added or exchanged with a “cleaner” version of the offering. “Cleaner” is defined as having less preservatives, food dyes, sugar/artificial sweeteners and/or trans fats. We are excited for our students to try these new items. On the menu, the new items are red and underlined to make it easier for you to see. This month we want to highlight a few items: Breadsticks (12/4 and 12/18), Pork Carnitas Rice Bowl (12/11) and Whole Wheat Pizza Bagel (12/19). Thank you for your support as we expose students to these healthier options!
The Illinois 5Essentials Student Survey: The 5Essentials Survey provides school districts with detailed data on school culture and climate. Students in grades 4 - 8 will participate in the Illinois 5Essentials Survey during the week of December 9th, 2019. Students’ identities will be completely confidential. Please be aware that you have the right to review a copy of the student questions which can be found on the Illinois 5Essentials website. If you have questions or concerns, please contact 5Essentials Client Services at 1-866-440-1874. If you do not want your child to participate, please email your child’s classroom teacher.
NEW - HARPER IS ON INSTAGRAM: One way to increase your connection to the school is through social media. This is a great way to see pictures, get updates, and understand more about the Harper school community. Follow us on instagram with our username of HarperDolphins. We also continue to use twitter so please consider following us there @HarperDolphins. Thank you for your support and Go Dolphins!
Cold Weather: Since winter has come early, it is time for some reminders to help you prepare appropriately. We try to have outdoor recess each day. For students to play in the snow, they must have jackets, boots, snow pants, hats, and gloves. We go outside unless the windchill temperature is under 5°F. In the mornings, students continue to wait outside unless the windchill temperature is under 10°F. Supervision in the morning does not start until 8:20am so try not to drop your child off early. Also, please drive safely around Harper including staying off your cell phone and driving slowly while in front of the school. Students’ safety is all of our responsibilities.
Harper PTO Movie Night presents: The Grinch (PG)
Get your tickets while they last! Friday, December 6th – 6:00pm-8:00pm
All Harper Students (K-4) are invited to watch this funny, heartwarming and visually stunning, family-friendly movie. Pajamas welcome and encouraged!
Little Ceasar’s Cheese/Pepperoni Pizza and Water will be served in the cafeteria. FOOD INFORMATION.
Sign up today as movie nights sell out quickly. Click here TO PURCHASE TICKETS.
Cost: $20 for the first child, $10 for the second, and $5 for the third.
Parents who volunteer at Movie Night can bring one child for FREE! To volunteer please CLICK HERE.
Space is limited to the first 100 kids. NO WALK-INS. All children must be registered in advance.
All Children must be walked into Harper for check-in and picked up by an adult for check out. Sorry, NO DROP OFFS!
- Cafeteria- Have you wanted to come volunteer in the Harper cafeteria, but haven't been able to sign up this year? Please let Shefali know with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and she will work with you to find a spot in January, February, or March. Please email her before Friday, December 6. Thank you!
- Adventure Guides 1st Grade Girls- Calling all second-grade dads and daughters! On Sunday, December 1 join the Adventure Guides for pizza lunch followed by the DePaul vs Northwestern women’s basketball game at Welsh Ryan Arena in Evanston. Lunch at 12:30, the game starts at 2pm. Contact Jason Ethington (608-347-3825) to RSVP for lunch and reserve your ticket to the game.
Technology Use and Physical Health Presentation -How to Support Your Child’s Physical Health in a Digital World
A digital childhood is here. Our conversation will go beyond the topic of screen-time and focus on how to create the conditions to maintain your child’s physical health. We will present on topics such as eye health, hearing, posture and radio frequency impact on the body. In addition to the presentation, we will have a panel with medical experts from a variety of fields available for Q&A. Facilitated by Tony DeMonte, Administrator for Technology, Information, and Safety
Wednesday, December 4th 6:30-8pm Wilmette Junior High School Auditorium
This event is FREE and open to all District 39 parents. No registration required, however, we would appreciate any input into making this night useful for you by completing this form.
- November Update from PASS39! PASS39 stands for The Parent Association for Student Services in District 39. It’s a district-wide parent organization that works in collaboration with Administration to help provide education and support for families who have children with learning, behavioral, emotional and developmental challenges. This year marks PASS39's 19th year in existence and we continue to benefit from a strong and cooperative relationship with D39's Student Services Department. It is a wonderful group and we are fortunate to have this available in the District. For the November Newsletter, visit: https://mailchi.mp/eb3b97ffde6b/wilmette-pass39-october-events-3720313?e=52c41ff362 PASS39 Email List Join our email list to receive information on area and district events related to children with learning disabilities and/or special needs. Email us at email@example.com to be added to the PASS39 group e-mail. All addresses are blind copied for confidentiality.PASS39 on the WebThe PASS39 website provides more information about Wilmette D39 Student Services and contains educational, therapeutic and recreational resources for parents with children with specialized needs. http://www.wilmette39.org/cms/one.aspx?portalid=360930&pageid=899243
- Yearbook- Please send a baby photo of your FORTH grader to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in the fourth-grade section of the Yearbook. The deadline is getting close and we have not quite 50% of the Class of 2020 represented. If you are not sure if you've done so, please email the same address to get confirmation. To purchase your yearbook, go to http://jostensyearbooks.com/?REF=A09862418 Not sure if you've purchased one yet? Email email@example.com
- Amazon Smile- This holiday gift-giving season, please consider shopping on smile.amazon.com and choose Harper PTO for your charity. 0.5% of your total order will benefit Harper School. #twicethegiving
Community Service Corner
WHAT: Help put smiles on faces this holiday season by donating a toy to young patients and their siblings from UI Craniofacial Center!
This year, a “Giving Tree” has been constructed by the student council and community service committee in the front vestibule of school, adorned with colored “gift” tags representing a selection of toy categories for students to choose from. Students will be led to the “Giving Tree” by their teacher, after viewing a short video montage of patients representing the UIC Craniofacial program. Look for instructions coming home in your student's red folder including their gift selection. If you are able to donate, please bring in an unwrapped, brand new, toy of $15-$20 in value.
WHEN: Monday, December 2nd - Friday, December 6th
Please see attached flyer for more information along with links to several video clips which provide further background about the program,
Your Harper Community Service Committee
Donate now to iGNITE! and help your children have a fun-filled year of enrichment opportunities! The suggested donation of $125.00 per child (tax-deductible) enables iGNITE the opportunity to bring in speakers, scientists, and programs along with taking children on field trips. In addition, this pays for our amazing crossing guards that keep your kids safe and secure! We ask that you donate early so we can begin these programs at the beginning of the year! Thank you so much to those of you who have already donated to iGNITE! We are currently at 60% (250 students) participation. If you have not donated, it is not too late. There are 2 ways to donate:
1. Click on link: http://harperpto.com/ignite-donation/
2. Drop off a check in the iGNITE! Folder in the Harper Lobby. Please make the check payable to Harper PTO and include your child's name on the check.
If you have any questions or can’t remember if you made a donation, please reach out to Jill Huebsch. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
- Sunday Youth Basketball for boys & girls grades 1-3. Teams created by schools. Contact Sara Hilby for more information at email@example.com
- Poms Technique for ages 6-10, November 11 - December 2.
- Gingerbread Houses Workshops for ages 3 + up December 7-11.
- Centennial Ice rink hosts Super Sunday for new skaters ages 4-13.
- Wilmette Children’s Theatre presents elf The Musical JR. November 8-10.
- Center Fitness Club wants you to join the YETI Challenge November 18 - December 31.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Kelly Maggio via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org