LS-H Middle/High School Newsletter
February 18, 2021
LS-H Middle/High School - Return to In-Person Learning
We look forward to welcoming our students back to In-Person Learning using the schedule included below. We have introduced a school dashboard, updated on Fridays, to provide weekly updates and insight to the health of our school community. Please continue to keep the schools informed of any confirmed positive cases, close contacts, and symptomatic individuals as this information will help to provide an accurate assessment of the transmission of the virus within our communities.
Yesterday, 2/17/21, the Minnesota Department of Education's Safe Learning Plan was updated. These updates included the removal of a requirement for districts to utilize a rolling start when returning to hybrid or in-person learning. As a result, all students in grades 6-12 will resume in-person learning on Monday, Feb. 22.
During In-Person Learning, students in grades 6-12 will have a two hour early out each Friday. This aligns with our Elementary school schedules and is included to accommodate additional teacher planning time required by Executive Order 20-94.
Beginning on Feb. 22, all Middle/High School students will begin their school day at 8:10 AM. Please refer to the In-Person Learning bell schedules below.
As always, please contact our school office at (507) 665-5800 should you have any questions.
Updated In-Person Learning Timeline:
Feb. 18-19: No School for 6-12 Students, Teacher Planning Days
Feb. 22-25: Scenario 1: In-Person Learning for Students in Grades 6-12
Feb. 25: Virtual MS/HS Parent-Teacher Conferences
Feb. 26: No School K-12; District In-Service Day
Virtual Parent/Teacher Conferences
LS-H Middle/High School will host virtual parent/teacher conferences on Thursday, Feb. 25. Our teachers will be calling the family of every student at LS-H Middle/High School during the teacher communication times listed below. We have made every effort to ensure that our families with multiple students only receive one phone call. All of our teachers will be available to meet with parents and students at the open virtual meeting times listed below. Virtual meeting links will be published on the LS-H Middle/High School website on the morning of February 25. Thank you for your patience as you wait to be admitted to each teacher's virtual meeting.
Teacher Communication Time: 4:00-6:00 PM
Open Virtual Meeting Time: 6:00-7:30 PM
We look forward to connecting with you to discuss your child(ren)'s progress!
Scenario 1: In-Person Learning Health and Safety Updates
As we return to In-Person Learning, it is extremely important for all LS-H families to remain diligent in monitoring the health of their children. Students are expected to stay home from school if any member of the household is symptomatic or awaiting COVID-19 test results. Please refer to the COVID-19 Decision Tree below for further information.
In Scenario 1: In-Person Learning, all students will be expected to:
- Complete a daily health screening before coming to school.
- Inform our school of confirmed positive cases, close contacts, and symptomatic individuals.
- Wear a mask (masks must be replaced immediately after drinking/eating).
- Wear a face covering when engaging in indoor physical activity (e.g., during indoor recess, indoor physical education class, or when exercising in a gym).
- Wash hands often.
As we move from Hybrid Learning to In-Person Learning, students will be required to maintain 3 feet of physical distancing from one another. All classrooms at LS-H Middle/High School will be arranged to accomodate this requirement.
During lunch periods, we will allow a maximum of four students per table and we will require students to sit at the same lunch table each day.
The Minnesota Department of Education strongly recommends that all students that are learning in-person receive a COVID-19 test every two weeks. Families can find locations for free COVID-19 testing on MDH’s website: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/testsites/index.html.
Please remember that the choices our students and families make outside of school can impact our learning scenarios. Thank you for doing your part to make healthy choices that will help maintain in-person learning for our students!
Distance Learning Update
LS-H Schools will continue to offer a "Distance Learning Only" option to students for the entirety of the 2020-2021 school year. At this time, students who have elected distance learning will remain in this learning model until the end of the 2020-2021 school year. Please contact your child's guidance counselor if you have any questions.
Student Lockers, Hallways, and Restrooms
- In Scenario 1, students will continue to have access to a school locker to store personal items such as jackets, lunch bags, and books.
- Change: Students will not be allowed to carry a backpack from class to class during In-Person Learning. Instead, students will be expected to visit their lockers between classes as needed.
- LS-H Middle/High School will resume using two way hallways during Scenario 1: In-Person Learning.
- Students are reminded that they are not allowed to congregate at school lockers and must move directly to and from each destination in our school.
- We do ask students to request restroom breaks during their class periods. This will help us to maintain small numbers of students using each restroom at any given time.
- Locker numbers and combinations can be found on student schedules in the Infinite Campus Student Portal.
- Beginning on February 22, In-Person and Distance Learning students will no longer need to enter virtual attendance in Infinite Campus each day.
- All Distance Learning students will be expected to follow the Scenario 1 Bell Schedule and attend the virtual meeting for their classes everyday.
- Automated attendance calls will continue to be used to inform parents/guardians when an unexcused absence has been recorded.
- Please continue to contact the LS-H Middle/High School office at 507-665-5801 or firstname.lastname@example.org when an attendance call is received.
Arrival and Dismissal Times
- We ask that students arrive to LS-H Middle/High School no earlier than 7:45 AM each day.
- Students should leave school by 3:15 PM unless they are involved in a school sponsored activity or are supervised by an LS-H staff member.
Daily Schedules for In-Person Learning
Mental Health Supports
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused high levels of stress for many of our staff, students, and families. We have several resources at LS-H Middle/High School to support the mental health needs of our students and families:
- LS-H school counselors are available to meet with students and parents. Ms. Undeberg (Middle School and AVID) can be reached at email@example.com or (507) 665-5806 and Ms. Al-Sattam (High School) can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (507) 665-5807.
- LS-H Middle/High School partners with the Sioux Trails Mental Health Center to offer school-linked services. Contact your child's guidance counselor for more information.
- The Minnesota Department of Health's "Supporting Mental Well-being During COVID-19" website has a wealth of information and resources.
If you need immediate assistance in a crisis situation, dial 911.
South Central Mobile Crisis Team: 877-399-3040
Crisis Text Line: Text MN to 741 741
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
Our school's goal is to provide support and connect each family with the resources they need to succeed. Please contact your child's guidance counselor for more information.
Infinite Campus Parent/Student Portal
Please refer to the following document to assist with logging into and updating information on Campus Portal. The "forgot username" and "forgot password" features on our district's Campus Portal can also be used if you are having difficulty logging in. Further support can be found by contacting the LS-H Middle/High School Office at (507) 665-5800 or by sending an email to email@example.com.
Past Newsletters from LS-H Middle/High School
Middle/High School Contact Information
Brian Thorstad, Principal (507) 665-5803
Jeff Christ, Dean of Students/Activities Director (507) 665-5804
Pam Mediger, Attendance Secretary (507) 665-5801
Christy Smykalski, Activities/Counseling Secretary (507) 665-5805