Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 2/16
We had a fantastic Valentine's Day celebration on Friday. Students had various themed challenges to complete - defining a question and gathering data on candy hearts from classmates, creating a tower with various supplies, and reusing supplies to engineer a boat that could transport a princess across a moat without getting wet. This is a creative group of learners! Many thanks for the generous donations for our dice game. Students had a BLAST!
We are continuing with a new set of roots this week. Students received the vocabulary sheets on Friday, and we'll spend time today working to complete Monday's typical assignment. Thanks for your continued support of this important program!
Monday: Write each root and meaning 5x each.
Tuesday: Write each vocabulary words and definition. Underline the vocabulary words & verbally share a sentence for each with an adult!
Wednesday: Use each vocabulary word correctly in a sentence in writing.
Thursday: Study with an adult. On the test, students are expected to know the meaning of each root and the definition of each vocabulary word.
Reminder: There is a late start tomorrow (Tuesday, 2/16) due to staff PLC meetings.
Valentine's Day Fun!
Updates & Announcements:
All Pro Dads: KMES now has a chapter of All Pro Dads. The first meeting is next Tuesday, 2/23 at 7:00. This is a FREE program for dads & kids to attend. Breakfast & activities take place at the meeting. Please see the attached flyer to RSVP!
Community Ed Playground Fundraiser: See attached flyer for information about the CE Playground Fundraiser event at the Legion on 2/19 beginning at 5:30.
K-M Science Fair: Science Fair idea/permission slips are due back the end of next week. You may also email me to let me know your child is participating. Be sure to check out http://www.sciencebuddies.org/ for ideas & resources! Please let me know how I can help.
National Symbols Project: Please see below for a flyer with information about the national symbols project. This flyer was also sent home. We will be reviewing expectations and a rubric today in class. Projects are due Thursday, March 3rd.
This Week's Objectives:
- We are studying new roots & vocabulary terms.
- We are continuing our study of aviation by reading a story about the Wright brothers.
- We are beginning work in our February/March edition of Storyworks.
- We are building reading stamina and practicing CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expanding Vocabulary) strategies for reading.
- We are reviewing key concepts from Unit 6 (division, angles, coordinate grids).
- We are solving division problems with 2-digit divisors.
- We are using ordered number pairs to locate points on a map.
- We are solving multidigit multiplication and multidigit division problems.
- We are building our speed and accuracy with basic multiplication and division facts.
Science & Social Studies:
- We are learning about human body systems and our bodies' defenses for germs.
- Students are continuing their study of states and national symbols.
- We are participating in the Post Bulletin's Design An Ad contest and learning about advertising. Students will be creating ads this week and next for the P-B.
- National symbols projects are due Thursday, March 3rd.
Wishing you a terrific week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.