The THIRD GRADE Times
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
This week in Third Grade...April 11, 2016
The fun in April has only just begun! Wasn't the Hustle World Record Challenge fun? There's more to come so please refer to the upcoming events section of our newsletter for dates and times you'll want to make note of. Also be sure to check in to our third grade resource page for updated information and resources.
Mrs. Adanto, Mrs. Sears and Mrs. Garcia
Coming Soon...MJS' 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week May 2016! Time to Recycle & Read!
The 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week will be held in mid-May, in the Library. The Library Committee organizes the event, inviting parents, students, faculty and staff to stop by and pick up books to take home, free of charge. Here are Recycle & Read dates to remember:
- Now through May 12: drop off your gently used books at the Library
- May 10 & 11: Recycle & Read Curbside Drop-Off on Euclid Avenue, 7:40-8:00 am (you can drop off your bags/boxes of books with the Girl Scouts during morning carpool)
- May 13: Grand Opening of 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week, 7:30-2:30, Library
- May 16-19: 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week, 7:30-3:30, Library
If you are interested in volunteering to help sort donated Recycle & Read book donations please sign up at www.signupgenius.com or contact Stacy Sartor, 2016 Recycle & Read Coordinator!
Let us protect Christ in our lives, so that we can protect others, so that we can protect creation! - Papa Francisco
The third grade will be busy this month and next finalizing our service learning project for recycling at Mayfield Junior School. We have reflected on the pope's directive for protecting the earth and believe as he does that, "to protect creation, to protect every man and every woman, to look upon them with tenderness and love, is to open up a horizon of hope; it is to let a shaft of light break through the heavy clouds; it is to bring the warmth of hope!"
The Wiz! Presented by MJS' Class of 2016...
Tickets for the annual 8th grade musical - The Wiz - are on sale now! Seating is reserved and evening performances usually sell out, so buy your tickets today! Log onto the MJS website portal and click on the eighth grade resource page for The Wiz to order tickets. Performance dates:
Friday, April 15, 7 pm
Saturday, April 16, 2 pm
Saturday, April 16, 7 pm
Sunday, April 17, 2 pm
Spelling City...Front Row...Online Resources for Math and Spelling Practice...
Third Grade Speech Team Practices...
Our team members have already been practicing their poetry choices for this event, and some are even willing to try their hand at storytelling or duo interpretation. The enthusiasm these students have is wonderful to see! We will have after school practices from 3:30 - 4:45 PM (allowing a few minutes of cushion for carpool duty!)on the following dates:
Wednesday, April 13
Friday, April 15
Wednesday, April 20
Friday, April 22
Wednesday, April 27
* Please note that Friday practices begin at 2:45 PM and end at 4:00 PM.
Upcoming Third Grade Events
- April 11, 2016 - Tournament of Roses docent, Amy Garrity, to visit third grade and present on the history of Pasadena and The Tournament of Roses.
- April 15 - 17, 2016 - The Wiz presented by MJS Class of 2016! See MJS calendar for specific show times.
- April 22, 2016 - Earth Day Events: Third graders will visit Topanga State Park in honor of Earth Day 2016, Depart MJS 8:45 AM and return to MJS by 2:15 PM.
- April 28, 2016 - Third grade field trip to the Rose Bowl, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM
- April 28, 2016 - Elementary Speech and Debate Invitational at St. Rita Catholic School, Sierra Madre (91024), 3:00 PM (Registration) - 3:30 (Start Time) to approximately 7:00 PM. MJS Third Grade Poets Rock!
Deepening Our Learning...
*Science - Recycle Reach Out Project...Students continue to collect and analyze data related to paper recycling at MJS and Animal Habitats...Students research food chains and webs. Recycling Impact On Our Communities and World...Our actions affect the world at large and recycling reminds us how we can make a difference. Students will take a deeper look at how recycling can have a positive impact on the world in which we live and how important it is to both the natural environment and us.
* Social Studies - Our Community, Our World - Pasadena! Students will be learning about Pasadena history, researching iconic landmarks, and visiting the Pasadena Museum of History.
* Math - Topic Eight: Problem Solving Using Division Facts! Students deepen their learning about division through problem solving using their knowledge of the inverse relationship between multiplication and division facts.
Six Traits of Writing - Students continue apply writing conventions for sentence types, word choice and voice in classroom writing assignments.