EPiC 3rd Grade
This week we began our Civics Unit. We researched the question, "Do you think all humans should be treated equally?" The students learned that although they think all humans should be created equally, often groups can be discriminated against.
Then, we simulated the feelings of discrimination. The students read, The Star Belly Sneetches and then they were given a chance to spend the day "with stars" and "without stars." As we continue this unit we will further investigate the contributions of Martin Luther King Jr. and we will explore ways to encourage kindness and empathy within our school.
Below is a video of a few students reflecting on their learning.
Blogging and Digital Volunteers
- Does the writer focus on one small but unforgettable moment?
- Does the writer include details that help create a picture for the reader?
- Is the narrative organized with a beginning, middle, and end?
- Did the student edit for proper capitals, punctuation, and complete sentences?
- Is the title correctly capitalized?
Click here for a quick link to our blog.
For more information regarding sentence starters and digital volunteer groups click here.
The students love reading your positive and constructive comments. Thank you for the support! It is amazing how much the students have grown from this process.
We are having a friendly competition to see who can reach 100% mastery first. Currently Homeroom 1 has 33% mastered, Homeroom 2 has 41% mastered, and The Teachers have 42% mastered.
To find out how your child his doing ask him/her to log into Reflex. Once logged in ask them to "click on their pyramid" and you can see what facts have been mastered and what facts need continued work.
- January 13th: PTA Meeting
- January 19th: No School
- January 22nd: Winter Family Event- Skate Night
- January 27th: Cici's Night