We Are Together Tamanend!
May 5, 2016
Holocaust Survivor Speaks to 9th Graders
On April 29th, Mr. David Tuck returned to Tamanend to share his 5-year experience as a Jewish prisoner of the Nazis at various concentration camps, including Auschwitz. Our guest shared his remarkable story of this significant event in history and closed with what he learned from the experience and how he used those lessons to empower him throughout life.
C-SPAN at Tamanend!
Students in 9th grade advanced Social Studies competed in the national C-SPAN Student Cam annual documentary competition. The theme for 2016 was the Road to the White House, in which students were asked to analyze an issue that they felt was important to the forthcoming Presidential Election. Tamanend had a record year in which 3 student groups were awarded for their films. On April 29, 2016 C-SPAN and its mobile production studio bus stopped by TMS to award and recognize our student cam winners. All Advanced U. S. History students were able to tour the C-SPAN bus, a $1.5 million dollar mobile production station.
- Winning 3rd place for their film about Bail Reform were Ben C, Sophia C, ,and Sammy S.
- Winning honorable mentions were Laya M, Bridget T, and Julia S. for Working Women and the Wage gap.
- Receiving honorable mention for his film about Domestic Surveillance was Mark W.
Our 3rd place winners received monetary prizes from C-SPAN. All recognized students received certificates from Congressman Michael Fitzpatrick and PA State Representative Katharine Watson.
Spring Pep Rally
Student Council hosted Tamanend's third pep rally of the year this past Friday, April 29th. It was a spirited afternoon, especially with the incredible performance by our amazing 9th Grade Pep Band and the coveted grade level spirit cheer competition. The spring sports teams and managers were also recognized for their hard work and dedication so far this spring season. The pep rally ended with our final student-faculty competition of the year. Several 9th grade students and teachers faced-off in our annual basketball game. It was an intense competition, with students and teachers battling for every point! By the end, it was the students who reigned victorious! Thanks so much to our Student Council officers for hosting the event and to 9th grader Alex H. for his moving performance of our National Anthem.
ARAMARK DONATING TO THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY
Here’s a really easy way to contribute to the fight against cancer! Buy lunch in the cafeteria all week next week! Aramark will be donating 25 cents per lunch to the American Cancer Society. This is a competition between all five middle schools – the winners will get credit for sponsoring the Survivor and Caregiver Breakfast at Relay. So, students in all grades, plan on buying your lunch in the cafeteria next week to support Relay for Life!
Rainy Day Traffic
On rainy days, we create our own traffic with an increase of students who become car riders. Please allow your student to ride the bus if they are a regular bus rider. A good compromise that won't cause school traffic and lateness to work and school is to drive your student to the bus stop.
Thank you for your cooperation.
To access your son/daughter’s report card:
Log onto the Parent Portal: https://campus.cbsd.org/campus/portal/cbsd.jsp.
Click on REPORTS on the left-hand menu.
Click on REPORT CARD. You can print this report.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school.
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending. Target has announced that it will end this program as of May 14, 2016 but has promised a different program instead.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS; or, shop at the Box Top Market Place where you will find vendors such as Best Buy, KMart, Justice and more.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.