SCCS Home Bulletin
August 25, 2021
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED
FROM DR. B: A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY IN GOD'S STORY
Can you feel it?
Can you see it?
We’re living in a unique time in God’s Story.
And during this moment, we have a huge opportunity. An opportunity to witness. An opportunity to be distinct. An opportunity to love well without compromising our values. An opportunity to demonstrate how we are in the world and that God has put us here for the world, but we’re not of the world.
This opportunity comes with challenges, and it demands intentionality. At Sioux Center Christian School, we strive to hold fast to our mission statement, to our core values, to our beliefs, and to what we think is best for our students (face-to-face learning under the direction of master Christian teachers in an environment intentionally structured to invite, nurture, and empower kids to see and live God’s Story).
We’ve made the choice to be a place of stability, a place where people can land. We continue to make the commitment each day to relentlessly pursue God’s Truth in all activities, in all teaching, and in all learning. That’s what we believe is our part in God’s Story.
It’s not easy. And I don’t want you to get the idea that everything at SCCS is all roses. We definitely have thorns and make mistakes, but we are committed to what we believe God has uniquely called us to do: to treasure His kids and to train them in His way so that they may be transformed by the power of His Spirit.
We must make the choice every day to persevere, and we pray that God helps us to be faithful.
At a recent funeral, I was reminded of a timeless truth from the Heidelberg Catechism, question and answer 1:
Q. What is your only comfort in life and in death?
A. That I am not my own, but belong — body and soul, in life and in death — to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with His precious blood, and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil. He also watches over me in such a way that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven; in fact, all things must work together for my salvation. Because I belong to Him, Christ, by His Holy Spirit, assures me of eternal life and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for Him.
As we continue to move forward, I encourage you to think about your place in this Story.
As you think about your family, your organization, your life, your sphere of influence, what beliefs do you hold?
What is God uniquely calling you to do?
And how can you best live out that calling?
Let’s find our identity in Christ.
Let’s rest in the fact that we belong to Him and that He cares for us.
Let’s really believe that we have been set free from the tyranny of evil.
And let’s lead and live with freedom and conviction.
This is exciting and important work. Remember: we can do this because God’s got this!
Year-Long Student Teacher with Mr. Bandstra and Mrs. De Wit
Year-Long Student Teacher with Mrs. Bleeker
Year-Long Student Teacher with Mrs. Haan and Mrs. Peters
RETIRED FACULTY AND STAFF GATHERING
Each year, our retired faculty and staff gather together on the first day of school to visit and reminisce. Yesterday, twenty former SCCS teachers, staff, and a principal met at Children's Park to celebrate their combined 461 years of service to SCCS! Our journey as a school has been impacted and BLESSED by these faithful servants of God! THANK YOU!!!
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
- Each Wednesday , SCCS dismisses at 2:05 for teacher professional development.
- Just a reminder that since the public school has switched back to Wednesday early outs, the bus routes remain the same all week long.
- Students may ride a different bus for daycare purpose only. Parents must write a note, email or call the office to get a bus pass for your child. If you need to contact the transportation director for any reason, call 722-2481.
BLOOMZ INFO: ALL SCHOOL COMMUNICATION ON BLOOMZ STARTING SEPTEMBER 1
- We will continue to use Bloomz as our school communication tool. Bloomz is our main method of communication throughout the school year, so we ask that all parents view the training below and become comfortable with the tool. Bloomz has made many enhancements this summer. Parents can find a training for Bloomz at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/bloomz.cfm.
- Parents should have received an invitation to join your child's class; please accept the invitation. If you are having difficulty joining that class, please contact the homeroom teacher or the office.
- NOTE: All communication will be via Bloomz starting September 1.
4CARE: There are still spots open in our 4Care program, with both AM and PM sections available. The 4Care classroom is now in the main school building with lots of room, newly remodeled bathrooms, new toys and furniture, and free lunch! Check out https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/admissions/4care.cfm to learn more.
KINDERCARE: Kindercare is an extended play-based childcare opportunity which features hands-on, child-led, play-based learning led by Mrs. Vander Werf. Kindercare is offered each Friday that school is in session from 8:00am-3:05pm and is available for TK & K students. Please call the office (712-722-0777) or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like your child to attend.
AFTERCARE: There are also spots available in our Aftercare program. It is available for TK-5th grade from the end of the school day to 5:30 at an hourly rate. To learn more about Aftercare click here. Forms for registering your child(ren) are below and can be returned to the office.
To aid students in the completion of homework and to assist with organizational skills and potential remediation needed, we will once again be offering Blazer Academy!
Blazer Academy will be held on Thursdays after school from 3:15-4:15 September-November and January-April. Certified teachers and/or paraprofessionals will be assisting all students under the supervision of the Director of Inclusive Education.
Students will be supported to complete any homework and receive supplemental instruction on assignments. A schedule will be followed and organizational skills will be implemented in a caring environment.
To register, fill out the attached form and turn into the office. The cost for the entire program for all-year support is $300/student. The first payment of $30 will be due at registration, with the remaining payments of $30 each being made with tuition each month. Space is limited to 15 students in order to provide individualized support.
TUITION GRANTS: APPLICATION DUE AUGUST 31
We are excited to share that we have updated our tuition grant process, with the updated process providing a more holistic and equitable picture of a family’s need for tuition grants so that our finance team can make more accurate award decisions. When families have financial need, we want to help with tuition grants. Our desire is to have Christian education as accessible as possible for as many families as possible.
We are moving to using an online 3rd party provider in order to keep your financial information as confidential as possible and to improve our process. FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment, a company that serves Christian schools nationwide, will be conducting the financial need analysis for SCCS for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year. Families applying for tuition grants will need to complete an application and submit the necessary supporting documentation to FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment by August 31. Applicants can apply online through this link: https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/3ZF1G.
*****NOTE: The same application will be used for both NICSTO and requests from the SCCS tuition grant fund. If you would like to be considered for either NICSTO or SCCS tuition grants or both, please complete the online form.
The following supporting documents are required to complete the application process:
- IRS Federal Income Tax Return, including all supporting schedules. If an applicant and co-applicant file separately, FACTS requires both tax returns for the same tax year.
- Copies of all the current year W-2 Wage and Tax Statements for both the applicant and co-applicant.
NOTE: If you are applying before you have received all the current year W-2 Wage and Tax Statements, please submit them as soon as they become available.
Copies of all supporting tax documents if you have business income/loss from any of the following:
- Business - send Schedule C or C-EZ and Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization
- Farm - send Schedule F and Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization
- Rental Property - send Schedule E (page 1)
- S-Corporation - send Schedule E (page 2), Form 1120S (5 pages), Schedule K-1 and Form 8825
- Partnership - send Schedule E (page 2), Form 1065 (5 pages), Schedule K-1 and Form 8825
- Estates and Trusts - send Schedule E (page 2), Form 1041 and Schedule K-1
Once an online application has been completed, the following information will need to be sent to FACTS to complete the application process (All supporting documentation can be uploaded in .pdf or .jpeg format online. All documentation received is imaged upon receipt and then destroyed):
- Copies of your 2020 Federal tax forms including all supporting tax schedules (2019 tax forms are OK if you don’t have your 2020 forms yet)
- Copies of supporting documentation for Social Security Income, Welfare, Child Support, Food Stamps, Workers’ Compensation, and TANF.
If you file a tax return but do not have W-2 wages because you are self-employed, you will be required to submit a copy of your current year Federal Form 1040 Tax Return. If you do not file a tax return, you are required to provide documentation of all income received.
All information shared with the 3rd party remains confidential, which is a major reason we are choosing to use a 3rd party. Please note that the 3rd party is going to be asking for much more financial information than what SCCS has asked for in the past. The intent for this process is to help the 3rd party gain a full picture of the financial need a family has, and the questions asked and information requested are intended to help families qualify for tuition grant funding that matches their need.
You may log in to your FACTS user account to review the status of your application. Please allow 2-3 weeks of processing time before inquiring further about receipt and/or status of the uploaded documents. The finance team then meets in October/November to make grant decisions, with families made aware of decisions in December. Grants are then applied in January.
If you have questions or concerns about the application process, you may speak with a FACTS Customer Care Representative at 866-441-4637.
Thank you for going through this process with us. We look forward to partnering with you.
To determine your eligibility for NICSTO, see this table:
SACK PACK PROGRAM
Sack Pack Program: All students have the opportunity to take advantage of the Sack Pack Program. This program provides free food items in a “sack” each Friday to assist families who are struggling to make ends meet. Nurse Stacy discretely distributes the sacks each week. If your student(s) participated in this program last year, they will automatically be re-enrolled this year. If you no longer wish to participate, contact Nurse Stacy. If you would like to join the program, just email Nurse Stacy at email@example.com.
LIBRARY LEARNING COMMONS
Students are invited to “Find the BEST story!” in our school library this year. The SCCS Library will begin checking out books to students on August 30th. TK-4th Grade students visit the library weekly and may check out and return a book each week. Students in 5th-8th grades will visit the library with their reading teachers and can check out one or two books for two weeks. We hope our students can access books that will grow their love of reading!
WE ARE HIRING
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please contact Stacy Haarhoff (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
- The Office Handouts http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/officehandouts.cfm is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for: Sioux Center Drivers Fall Education Classes, Sioux Center Rec Dept Flag Football
- Staff Member of the Month: Nominate a staff member to become the Pella Corporation Staff member of the month. Pella Corporation will award one monthly recipient $500.00 to use towards school approved items and a certificate of recognition. A nomination form can be found here.