The official newsletter of Farragut Intermediate School
August 12, 2019
Our theme this year is "Each day is an Adventure. What will you discover today?" Our staff and students are on an adventure as we learn more about each other and our grade level standards. Our School Counselor, Carol Slatas and her Intern, Laurel Jones are pictured below ready for their next big adventure. Additionally, we will continue our focus on the FIS traits of Honor, Courage, and Steadfastness.
This year we not only welcome our third graders and new students but several new staff members:
- Ms. Hankins - 3rd grade
- Ms. Olafson - 3rd grade
- Ms. Logue - 4th grade
- Ms. McArthur - 4th grade
- Ms. Miles - 5th grade
- Mr. Stephens - P.E.
- Ms. Buchanan - Art
- Ms. Van Valkenburgh - Music
- Ms. Wetherby - Special Education Assistant
- Ms. Pagel- Special Education
- Ms. Munsey - Special Education
- Ms. Rhonda Parker - Speech
- Ms. Love-Pride - Teaching Assistant
- Mr. Ken Anderson - School Security Officer
Please join us in giving these new FIS staff members a warm welcome!
Meet Up, Buddy Up
During Meet Up, students and teachers meet in a circle to greet one another, share ideas and experiences, monitor classroom goals, solve problems, and participate in team building activities using Harmony Quick Connection Cards. Buddy Up is a peer buddy system designed to bring together diverse students who otherwise might not interact with one another. During Buddy Up, students engage in discussions or activities provided. We are excited about the positive impact this program will have on our school.
Grade Level Parent Nights
Each grade level will host a parent meeting on separate nights.
- 3rd-Grade - Tuesday, Aug. 13th at 6:00
- 4th-Grade - Thursday, Aug. 15th at 6:00
- 5th-Grade - Tuesday, Aug. 20th at 6:00
All meetings will start in the cafeteria. We hope you can join us for these informative sessions.
PTA Grounds Committee
Pick Ups and Drop Offs
Our building opens at 7:00 AM each morning. If students arrive before 7:30, they will go to their designated area in the building:
- 3rd grade in the gym
- 4th grade in the cafeteria
- 5th grade in the hallways outside of their rooms
** IMPORTANT: If you are dropping off by car, please pull all the way around the circle to the farthest cone to drop off your child. This helps the traffic move more quickly.
Breakfast is served in the cafeteria beginning at 7:10.
After the 7:30 bell, students make their way to the classrooms. All students should be in their classrooms by 7:45.
If you are picking up your child through the car line, please be sure to have your hang tag visible. If you do not have a hang tag, please come to the office with your ID to check out your child.
Forms to Return to School
Parents please read the student handbook in the student agenda, sign and return the signature page only to your child's teacher as soon as possible.
Thank you for continuing to return the beginning of year forms and school fees. The following is a list of forms that need to be completed and sent back to school:
- Student Information Verification Form
- Student Handbook Form - found in the student agenda
- Clinic Card
- Student Emergency Card
- Media Form
- Additional Car Tag Request (if needed)
- School Fees ($25) - cash, check, or online payment (online payment information to come)
PTA Membership Drive
Lunch Announcement - Please no visitors this week
In the next two weeks, teachers will be helping students learn our routines and procedures, including cafeteria expectations. As a courtesy, we respectfully request that you do not come to school to have lunch with your child until the week of August 19th. This will help us provide a better environment for all.
As always, we thank you for your support.
Cross Country Track
This is the last week for Cross Country Signups! If you are wanting your child to run please be sure to have them signed up by Wednesday the 14th. We need them on the roster for our roll call or they won't be able to participate. Also, all payments are due by Friday the 16th! Our Jersey and T-shirt order has to be placed Friday night to insure we receive our order by the first meet of the year. To sign your child up fill out the form at: http://goo.gl/forms/jT5NeLRFxc or visit our team Facebook page at FARRAGUT INTERMEDIATE CROSS COUNTRY. Please contact Coach Marshall at 913-832-4582 with any questions!"
Dates to Remember
- Aug. 5- Sept. 5 - PTA Membership Drive
- Aug. 12 - 3rd Grade Parent Night (6:00) meet in the cafeteria
- Aug. 15 - 4th Grade Parent Night (6:00) meet in the cafeteria
- Aug. 20 - 5th Grade Parent Night (6:00) meet in the cafeteria
- Aug. 21 - Boy Scouts Parent Meeting (6:30)
- Aug. 27 - Student Holiday - no school for students
- Aug. 29 - Girl Scouts Parent Meeting (6:00-8:00)
- Sept. 2 - Labor Day (no school)
- Sept. 6 - 3rd Grade Grandparents Day (more information to come)
- Sept. 10 - STEM Scouts Parent Meeting (6:30)
- Sept. 12 - Coupon Book Kick-Off
- Sept. 13 - All Pro Dads - Music Room (7:00-7:30)