Instagram 101 for Libraries
A Quickstart Guide from LibraryLinkNJ
Share what's happening at your library
Tips For Getting Started
- Download the app and set up an account.
- Username: choose one that matches your handle on Twitter, Pinterest or other social spaces. Consistency counts. (Need to make a change later? Here's how.)
- Include your organization's full name - be specific, and don't use acronyms.
- Add your organization's URL.
- Who, What, Where & Why: Include your location - municipality or county & state & a brief version of your mission. DO Include relevant hashtags and maybe an emoji or two. DON'T just say "check us out!" or "welcome to our photos!" - be specific!
What Should We Post?
- Great photos! Here are 10 easy to use tips for taking ideal pictures. Play around with filters and borders. That's half the fun.
- Behind the scenes at your library.
- Programs & events for all ages.
- Celebrations: within your community, of your staff & their accomplishments.
- Throwbacks: vintage items & photos - tag them #TBT or #ThrowbackThursday
- Regram! Share community members' pics using the Repost app.
- Check out this Library Instagram Ideas Pinterest board for more inspiration!
LibraryLinkNJ -- The New Jersey Library Cooperative
Created by Sophie Brookover, Program Coordinator & Social Media Manager