Instagram 101 for Libraries
A Quickstart Guide from LibraryLinkNJ
Share what's happening at your library
- Download the app and set up an account.
- Choose a username that matches your handle on Twitter, Pinterest or other social spaces. Consider using the same profile photo, too. Consistency counts when your patrons are trying to find you online. (Need to make a change later? Here's how.)
- When writing your bio, include your organization's full name; be specific, and avoid acronyms. Also add your municipality/county and state.
- Add your organization's URL in the website section of your bio.
- Who, What, Where & Why: DON'T stop at "check us out!" or "welcome to our photos!" DO include relevant hashtags and maybe an emoji or two. Including a brief version of your mission in your Instagram bio will help users understand what your library is all about.
What Should We Post?
- Great photos! Here are 10 easy to use tips for taking ideal pictures. Play around with filters and borders. That's half the fun.
- Behind the scenes at your library.
- Programs & events for all ages.
- Celebrations: within your community, of your staff & their accomplishments.
- Throwbacks: vintage items & photos - tag them #TBT or #ThrowbackThursday
- Regram! Share community members' pics using the Repost app.
- Check out this Library Instagram Ideas Pinterest board for more inspiration!
LibraryLinkNJ -- The New Jersey Library Cooperative
Created by Sophie Brookover, Program Coordinator & Social Media Manager