How to Use A Compass
By: Amaela Bruce
Compasses: What You Need to Know
1. A compass always points north, no matter where you are
2. The compass's south pole (the red needle) is attracted to Earth's Magnetic North
Earth's Magnetic Field
How A Compass Works
Basic Parts of A Compass
1. Compass needle- red part always shows where North is
2. Compass Housing- the turn able part of the compass
3. Direction of travel arrow- the line that shows what direction you would travel
4. Orienting arrow-the area the compass needle should end up in.
5. Orienting lines- the lines on the compass housing showing the degrees
Video on How to Use a Compass
Written Directions on How to Use a Compass
1. Put red Fred in the shed, ( find north).
turn the compass housing (dial) until the direction you want to go is facing the direction of go arrow.
3. While keeping "Red Fred in the shed" look for a reference point (something like a rock,tree etc.) that is in the direction that you want to go
Once you have gotten to the place pick another reference point and walk to it.
Do step 4 until you gotten to the place you want to go.
Enjoy the place you chose!