Metroplex Academy of Dance
December Newsletter 2015
Christmas Parade -Will You Be Joining Us?
Please send Ms. Andrea an email before Wednesday, Dec 2nd.
-Following the parade there will be activities at the Recreation Center: Cookies and hot cocoa, live music, pics with Santa, bounce houses, Christmas crafts, carriage rides, train rides-ALL FREE!
-The meeting area and start-off point will be at the Roanoke Soccer Complex parking lot (south parking lot, closest to 170).
- 35W NORTH
- 170 EAST
- PASS 377
- NEXT ROAD- ROANOKE RD * TURN LEFT*
- PARK IN RECREATION CENTER-
- You are welcome to arrive early, but please be there no later than 5:30pm. We will leave at 6:00pm.
-Please Bring 2 bags of Throw-Out Candy---- Candy canes, tootie rolls, wrapped bubble gum, Dum-Dums, etc.
-Parade route: This year it will start at the south end of the soccer complex as usual. We will proceed north on Walnut St. to Travis, Travis to Oak., Oak to Parish (new road, crossing Crocket Street from 377, apartment complex), Parish to Walnut and back to soccer complex.
Glitter and Sparkle
We will be fitting for Costumes NEXT WEEK- During class. Dec 7th-10th
* make sure your dancer wears a leotard and tights. We are not responsible for the wrong measurement if your dancer does not wear the appropriate dance wear.
* Miss Andrea is the measure QUEEN-- it is another special talent that has been taught to her by her dancer mentors. She will take inconsideration the annual growth spurt.
Studio Policy For Snow / Ice
- We follow Northwest ISD school closing.
- We will hold classes except under exceptionally dangerous driving conditions. The safety of our students and their family id our number 1 priority. PLEASE USE DISCRETION WISELY. Your dancer will NOT be counted absent.
- Studio closing will be posted on Facebook and Personal Email notification.
- Make Up Classes will be scheduled during the month of March, April or May.
ENROLLMENT ENDS JANUARY 5th.
All new students referred by an existing student will receive 20% off of their registration fee.
The existing student will receive $10 in credit to be used toward any merchandise, tuition or costume fees. NO LIMIT! Start telling everyone you know about our new classes and remind them to mention YOUR name.
*No Cash Value-Only Studio Credit*
What do Dance Teachers Do? 10 Things You Did Not Know Your Dance Teacher Does
- Scrolls through hours upon hours of music choices to find the one that suits you or your child. These songs don't just 'appear' in itunes. Dance teachers could spend hours each night listening to hundreds of pieces of different music just to find that winning 3min number.
- They found the song but it's 5min not 3min so it needs to be edited. If you yourself haven't yet tried to cut music to make it sound like the song was actually recorded like that... don't! It's pain staking and tricky and could take HOURS.
- Costumes - Coming up with 1 is easy but imagine trying to come up with hundreds of different costumes over the life of a teacher. Making sure Class 1's costume doesn't look like Class 2's costume and isn't the same color as Class 3's... That's hard work and one could get LOST on the internet (or at a Dancers Market) searching for inspiration or the perfect fit costume/s.
- They miss dinner with their family... A LOT! Remember those work hours from 3pm - 8pm that we thought would be a nice change from the regular 9am - 5pm. Well most teachers with families rarely get a chance to sit at the dinner table and enjoy family dinner. They eat on the run or they fail to eat at all. Dinner is always reheated. Some nights kids may already even be in bed before they get home.
Similar to costumes, choreography is a job in itself. Making sure that spacing will work, that choreography is current, creative and challenging for the dancer isn't something most teachers will leave until class, most like to come prepared with the ideas, the visions and the choreography ready to go. Choreography is not a carbon copy that comes gifted to a teacher through text books and resources it's a product of their own creativity and hard work.
They worry, they stress and they don't sleep! They are hoping that you remember all of the steps, all of the corrections, and that you walk away feeling as though you have done a great job. No dance teacher wants you to fail, they want you to be amazing.
They push through sickness or the pain of injury and old age ;). Who has time for a broke foot, torn muscles, back pain.
- They often put their studio family ahead of their own family. Dance teachers kids often don't get a choice. They are dancing or at the studio with MOM!
They want every one of their kids to succeed. They may yell and scream, but they do it with the best of intentions. They challenge and encourage your kids to be the very best version of themselves every single day. They want to see kids rewarded for the hard work and dedication that they put in at the studio, they want their kicks higher and their splits flatter so that the dancer feels as though the hard work is paying off.
They admire each dance parent and dance family member that is part of their community. They know the dedication that needs to be shown to continually get kids to class on time. They are thankful, they may not say thanks enough but they are. Thankful for choosing their studio, thankful that you have trusted them to guide and enrich the life of your child. They genuinely love teaching and if they didn't/don't chances are that you would have already pulled your child out of the studio and found them a teacher who loves what they do and loves dance enough to make your child love it too.