Buffalo Weekly Express
August 31, 2019
Week Three Celebrations
How are we already three weeks into school and ready to zoom into September?! A few observations of great things I saw this week at Berryton:
- 5th Graders are beginning a new science unit and I noticed lots of students having some fun analyzing their shadows.
- Mrs. Tanya Howbert was given the BES-T Love award from our sixth grade team. We so value the MANY things she does to make our building run smoothly.
- Pre-K is spending time on early literacy skills and rocking some nursery rhymes.
- Kindergarten students are getting better and better at being independent in stations so that our teachers can pull small groups.
- Third grade is working hard on multiplication problems.
- Staff enjoyed a yummy breakfast provided by Mrs. Baker and enjoyed browsing for the book fair that is quickly approaching.
- First graders are enjoying building stamina through partner reading practice. Books are fun, but are even more fun when shared with a pal!
- Intramural registrations are coming in- be sure to sign up by September 10 if interested.
Grandparent's Day is quickly approaching and we can't wait. We are still in need of volunteers to assist with the Book Fair from 12:30-2. We are anticipating a large number of shoppers, and Mrs. Baker would love to have more assistants to assist with running the cash register. If you are interested or know someone who is Mrs. Baker can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are also beginning MAP Testing for all of our students in grades 1-6 in the areas of Math and Reading. This assessment is completed on our iPads and MacBooks and provides staff with valuable data and information regarding individual student strengths and areas for growth.
I hope each of you take some time to relax and unwind on Labor Day this coming Monday.
Look forward to seeing many of our grandparents on Friday,
Mrs. Bervert, Principal
ASQ- Mandatory Screening for EC, Pre-K and Kindergarten
ASQ information for all parents can be found at https://agesandstages.com/about-asq/for-parents/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_campaign=20190516-asq-newsletter.
Grandparents Day- coming to a student near you!
Happy Grandparents' Day! All Berryton Grandparents, natural or otherwise, are invited to attend our Grandparents' Day celebration on Friday, September 6, 2019 from 2:00-3:30 PM. We'll begin with a short presentation in the gym for all grandparents at 2:00 PM. Our Gym will not be ready for guests until 1:30pm. The grandparents will then move to the classrooms for additional activities. If grandparents will be visiting more than one child, we announce the times to move to the next class.
Please complete the survey below to RSVP and give permission for your student to leave with his/her grandparent if desired. Please complete the form by Thursday, September 5th @ 4:00 PM. Please be considerate of our deadline as it gives us time to compile and give the information to our teachers, and make late minute preparations for our event.
Prior to our Grandparents’ Day activities, our book fair will be open in the library from 12:30-2:00 PM! Please feel free to visit, browse, and purchase books! Grandchildren will have a Book Wishlist in the library for grandparents to pick from the list. Students will not be released to visit the Book Fair with their grandparent(s).
You can shop from home from today through September 7 at this site https://shop.scholastic.com/parent-ecommerce/parent-store-2.html?fairId=4227968.
At the conclusion of the event, students that have prior permission to leave with their grandparent, will be signed out in the CLASSROOM. Please discuss your child's transportation arrangements in advance with your child. Children will not be allowed to phone parents for permission on the day of the event.
Regrettably, lunch is not included in the Grandparents Day Festivities, but there will be cookies in the classrooms!
Breakfast and Lunch Menu
- Monday and Friday- PB and J Whole Wheat Uncrustable
- Tuesday- Turkey
- Wednesday- Ham
- Thursday- Bologna
The link for the menu can be found here:
Looking Ahead to Next Week
- 9/2- No School (Labor Day)
- 9/3- Come support Berryton at Amigos from 5-830! (5145 SW Topeka Blvd.)
- 9/3- School Board Meeting at 7:00 PM (SHHS)
- 9/5- Book Fair Open for all Parents and Families from 12:30-2
- 9/6- Grandparents Day Celebrations from 2-3:30