How does this Disease get transmitted?
What are some symptoms of the disease?
How can this disease be treated?
Ways to prevent yourself and others from contracting the disease?
* Avoid swimming in recreational pools
* Avoid eating contaminated under cooked food
* Avoid handling infected animals
* Avoid drinking or accidentally swallowing recreational water
“It just took some lab experimentation to realize that we already had the technology we needed to control Cryptosporidium in water supplies.” - Dr. Jennifer Clancy
* This quote means they have found a way to prevent this disease from getting in our water supply.
Interesting Facts about Cryptosporidiosis
* Crypto is chlorine-resistant and can live in water that contains chlorine for several days
* The people most at risk of contracting this disease is young children, pregnant woman, and people with weak immune systems.(etc.)
* Symptoms can generally begin within 2 to 10 days after becoming infected with Crypto
* This parasite lives in the intestine of the host (human or animal) and is passed through inside the stool.
* This parasite can live outside of the host for a long period long time because it protected by an outer shell.