Pinckney's Parent Newsletter
March 16-20th, 2020
Week 2 has been so exciting! I got the opportunity to continue to build relationships with staff members, families, and students, while settling in a little bit into my role as the week went by. I also had the opportunity to get into every classroom and have conversations with students and teachers about learning.
-I played a StarWars game (Gym) with Kindergartens while working on social skills training with a student (No, not in heels, I war my tennis shoes!)
-I held my first official staff meeting.
-Ran around with students at recess after processing with a few students.
-I meet with 10-12 staff members this week to discuss current realities and future plans for Pinckney.
-Worked with a handful of students and teachers on improving student behaviors throughout the Pinckney Campus.
With all of that, I am exhausted and I know our staff members and students are too.
Please be safe, relaxing, and fun spring Break and I will see you all when you are return!
Please consider coming to our School Site Council meeting. We will have Pizza, Drinks and Cookies. Board Member Erika Hill will also be in attendance at Pinckney Elementary School. There will be wonderful topics of discussion during this meeting just a few;
-Principal Lugrand's 90 day Plan
-2020-2021 Big Rocks
-Spring Testing informational
-Introduction to Parent University
I look forward to see all my families, students, and teachers in attendance.
Come on out and support!
- 4th and 5th grade Mystery Science (5th grade Live Worms!)
- MAP and State Testing (1st-5th Grade)- April 1 through May 8, 2020 (Assessment Calendar will be sent out to families)
- Testing Strategies for Families
- Testing Kick-off (TBA)
- Daily Conversation with your children: What are you learning in school?
- Continuing with weekly newsletters from your classroom teachers, Principal and PIF
- Growth mindset and Goal setting
This Week at a Glance:
- March 16, 2020-PACERS begin Monday's and Friday's
- Monday, March 8, 2020-Daylight Savings Time (Springing Forward)
- March 9-13, 2020- Spring Break
- Monday, March 16, 2020- Site Council @5:00pm Pinckney Cafeteria
- Mar 16 - May 1: Testing Window Opens (See email for Assessment Calendar)
- Tuesday, March 17, 2020- St. Patricks Day
- Thursday, March 19, 2020 Science Fair @ 6:00PM
Hero of the Week! Joy Harjo
Joy Harjo, 68, was born on May 9, 1951 and lives in Tulsa OK. She is a member of the Muscogee Creek Nation. She studied at the Institute of American Indian Arts, completed her undergraduate degree at University of New Mexico in 1976, and earned an Master’s degree at the University of Iowa in creative writing .
She is a poet, writer and musician. She has been chosen as the first Native American Poet Laureate
Poet, writer and musician
U.S.will represent both her Indigenous culture and those of the United States of America when she succeeds Tracy K. Smith as the country's 23rd poet laureate consultant in poetry (that's the official title) this fall. Her term, announced Wednesday by Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden, will make her the first Native American poet to serve in the position.