Sabrina's Coaching Corner
Keeping Scott Teachers in the KNOW!
September 10, 2015
Please read the district & campus news below. As always, let me know if you have any questions or would like to meet!
BOY Literacy Assessment Window: 9/1 - 9/30.
Guided Reading & Strategy Groups:
Check out this video to see great examples of guided reading and strategy groups!
It will be VERY beneficial for you to watch this video before attending the upcoming PDs.
Thank you so much for your time, patience, and collaboration as we work through the implementation process.
- As your teams are launching the Problem Solving roll-out plan, be mindful to celebrate the risk-taking--both for students and TEACHERS! The learning will occur as we reflect on the student work and teaching practices.
- I have met with most teams about the roll-out plan, but please do not hesitate to ask me questions. I would be happy to meet with you or your team to think through this process.
- I have ordered 1 rubric poster per classroom.
AFTER 5-Week Roll-Out Plan:
- You can choose problems from Exemplars, Lone STAAR, and/or the district provided problems.
- Your team can decide which focus each problem lends itself to best.
- You can choose how many processes to look at in each problem now that students have a solid foundation.
- Rubrics can be used informally OR as a formal grade.
Two videos of teachers implementing the roll-out plan in their classrooms:
1st Video - A kinder teacher uses an anchor chart in the shape of a hand to help students better understand the rubric (which will be introduced later).
2nd Video - A 5th grade teacher makes a GREAT connection to sports. Watch at least the first 3 minutes to see her unique hook to engage students in the problem solving process.
Tired of worrying about what will pop up when you search for a brain break on YouTube? Check out this website: http://www.viewpure.com/
Guided Reading: Thursday, September 17th (3:30-4:30) @ Scott
Strategy Groups: Thursday, September 24th (3:30-4:30) @ Norris
LLI: Thursday, October 1st (3:30-4:30) @ Scott
You will be able to register and earn credit for each of these courses! I will email you with the links to register once they are ready in Eduphoria.
Each grade level (1st-4th) will have 2 groups of LLI this year. Remember that LLI should take place before school.
Please determine 1 teacher to begin LLI on Monday, September 14th.
Another teacher should begin a 2nd LLI group by Tuesday, October 13th.
LLI training will be offered at Scott on Thursday, October 1st from 3:30-4:30. After training, the 2nd LLI teacher will have the option to observe their grade level LLI sessions for 1 week before starting the 2nd group.