Irish Nation News Letter
April 1st 2023
Welcome back Sheldon!
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 – 4 pm
Phone Number: 541-790-6600
Attendance Line: 541-790-6606
Fax Number: 541-790-6605
Sheldon website: https://shs.4j.lane.edu/
Career Center: https://shs.4j.lane.edu/career-center/
Upcoming Events. 📅
- Golf: Boys Varsity Time TBD VS TBD Dismiss 11:00am Leave 11:15am
- Golf: Girls Varsity Time 12:00pm VS Springfield Dismiss 9:15am
- Tennis: Boys Varsity Time 4:00pm VS Grants Pass Dismiss 2:15pm
- Tennis: Girls Varsity Time 4:00pm VS Grants Pass Dismiss 11:00am Leave 11:15am
- Baseball: Varsity Time 4:30pm VS N.Bend Dismiss 2:15pm 🏠
- Baseball: JV Time 4:30pm VS N.Bend @ Mannahouse Dismiss 2:45pm Leave 3:00pm 🏠
- Softball: Varsity /JV Time 4:30pm VS N.Bend Dismiss 2:15pm 🏠
- Golf: Girls Varsity Time 11:00am VS Banks Dismiss ALL DAY Leave 7:30am
- Track Time 3:30pm VS Willamette/SE Dismiss 2:15pm
- Lacrosse: Boys JV Time 5:00pm VS Sprague 🏠
- Baseball: JV2 Time 6:00pm VS Springfield 🏠
- Lacrosse: Boys Varsity Time 7:00pm VS Thurston 🏠
4.27.23 – Thursday
- Tennis: Boys Varsity Time 4:00pm VS Roseburg Dismiss 1:30pm Leave 1:45pm
- Tennis: Girls Varsity Time 4:00pm Time 4:00pm VS Roseburg Dismiss 2:00 🏠
- Softball: Varsity /JV Time 4:30 VS Jesuit Dismiss 2:15pm 🏠
· OMEA State Chamber Music Festival
- Golf: Girls Varsity Time 9:00am VS TBD Leave 7:45am
- Baseball: JV2 Time 6:00pm VS Pleasant Hill MS/HS 🏠
· OSAA State Solo Contest
- Baseball: Varsity Time 1:00/3:00pm VS S. Medford
- Baseball: JV Time 1:00/3:00pm VS S. Medford @ Mannahouse
🏠 = Home Games
Eligible Class of 2023 Students Awarded Oregon Promise
March 1, 2023 - June 30, 2023 Graduates
Oregon Promise awarding has begun for Class of 2023 applicants. There is no Expected Family Contribution (EFC) limit for new applicants (Class of 2023) -- this means all eligible applicants will be considered for an award in 2023-24 if they meet all requirements and apply by their deadline, regardless of income. Most students must apply by JUNE 1. Please visit Oregon Promise FAQs for all details and read the Oregon Promise Fact Sheets:
⏰ Early Release Day to Move to Wednesdays ⏰
Shift will help increase collaboration among 4J educators • No change to early release times
All 4J schools will release early on Wednesdays instead of Fridays starting this fall to support collaboration among our educators. Early-release days on Wednesdays will best support the new schedule that 4J high schools will follow starting this fall. In addition, comments from educators indicated that dedicated time for professional development and collaboration is more impactful during the middle of the workweek rather than at its end. Early-release times will remain unchanged.
Understanding the importance to families of having consistent school schedules, the change to a Wednesday early-release day will apply to all schools. Wednesday early-release days are not new to our district. Many 4J schools released students early during the middle of the week prior to our district moving to a standard schedule for all schools in 2018, when Friday was selected as the early-release day.
School Calendars Approved for 2023–24
Mark your calendars: School dates set for next year
The school board has approved the academic calendars for next year, 2023–24.
Key dates for 2023–24 include:
- First day of school for grades K, 6 & 9: Wednesday, Sept. 6
- First day of school for all other grades: Thursday, Sept. 7
- Thanksgiving break: Thursday, November 23–Friday, November 24
- Winter break: Mon., December 18–Friday, December 31 + Tue., January 2 (staff work day)
- Spring break: Mon., March 25–Fri., March 29 + Mon., April 1 (staff work day)
- Last day of school: Thursday, June 13 (or later if weather makeup days are needed)
❗❗Become a Sheldon Community Responder❗❗
SHELDON COMMUNITY RESPONDER
A Sheldon Community Responder is a volunteer that responds to “alerts” sent by the 15th Night Coordinator for needs specific to SHS students that have not been met by internal school resources. These type of alerts would be for items such as clothing, shoes, small household items, food or bedding.
A Sheldon Community Responder would receive a text message indicating a need. If the Responder can provide the need, they respond to the text message and work with the SHS Coordinator to secure and deliver the item.
Contact Trista Neuman at Neuman_t@4j.lane.edu
SHS Summer Job/Career Fair
If you are an employer or business that can offer:
- Summer Jobs ✅
- Job Shadows ✅
- Internships ✅
- Apprenticeships ✅
- Career Pathway Opportunities ✅ ...
Thank you 😊
Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 09:30 AM
Sheldon High School, Willakenzie Road, Eugene, OR, USA
⬇️ Career Center Announcements ⬇️
💰💰 Scholarships 🤑🤑
Now Accepting Applications for 12th Annual Young Women’s Fire Camp
Hosted annually by Eugene Springfield Fire, the Young Women’s Fire Camp is free to participants and provides an exciting opportunity for personal growth and exploration of a career in the fire service.
This is a week-long day camp, open to all female-identifying youth, who are between the ages of 15-19 years old. Camp is being offered June 26-30, 2023.
This unique camp instills self-confidence, teamwork, and leadership by utilizing fire service activities as a catalyst for this growth. The curriculum is dynamic and physically challenging, but exceptionally rewarding for participants. During the camp, participants will be issued firefighting gear and participate in activities related to the fire service, emergency medical services, and other fields.
For additional information and application materials, please visit eugene-or.gov/youthcamps
Applications are due no later than May 19, 2023.
Current COVID guidelines will be applied throughout the camp.
Oregon Business Academy
" Oregon Business Academy, formerly called Young Entrepreneurs Business Week (YEBW), has restarted a one-week business camp that will be held at Oregon State University in Corvallis July 16th – 22nd. Working in teams, students will discover leadership skills while also gaining a solid grounding in basic business principles.
The camp made a huge impact on the kids that were able to attend before it was suspended during COVID. Of 200+ participants at Business Week 2019:
· 98% felt their business competency had improved,
· 98% felt more prepared for a job interview,
· 97% felt more comfortable in a professional networking setting,
· 96% felt they were a stronger team player,
· 94% felt their leadership skills improved, and
· 94% felt more confident presenting in front of people.
But it isn’t enough to develop these skills in young men and women who have already been exposed to business through their family setting. To be successful, we have to extend our reach to be inclusive of the full continuum of students. Our equity goals include:
- 50% students from low-income backgrounds,
- 50% students from BIPOC communities,
- 50% female students, and
- An environment that is inclusive to a diversity of students beyond these measures.
We’ve raised substantial funding to restart this program, including scholarships to help achieve our diversity goals. Now we could use your help. We need kids!! "
***for registration information click on the poster and scan the QR code***
Youth Support Excelerator!
The Youth Support Excelerator guides youth through a forty-hour Oregon Health Authority (OHA) approved training for Youth Support Specialists, youth 17+, that is specifically tailored to fit the needs of youth and young adult peer support providers. Our Excelerators prepare young people for work through accelerated education, training, and application of skills. This training provides participants with a comprehensive introduction to peer work and includes a variety of support methods that center on the lived experiences of the peer. Those who complete this training are able to register with the state of Oregon as certified Youth Support Specialists (YSS).
Excelerator Dates: June 20 - 24 (Tuesday - Saturday)
Time: 9 am to 5:30 pm for five consecutive days
Location: Spark at Booth-Kelly (303 S 5th Street #150, Springfield)
Youth selected to participate in this Excelerator will be PAID $16.50 per hour.
Complete this application before April 21 to be considered for one of the YSS training spots!
Interviews will take place the week of May 8th
The Eugene Delta Rotary Club is seeking High School Sophomores and Juniors with Leadership potential who want to be challenged to grow as leaders and citizens
"Join us for a life changing experience,
Spend 6 days and 5 nights in beautiful Dorena, Oregon. Participate in leadership challenge activities, small group work, team building, outdoor recreation, campfire... and much more!
Deadline to apply: Ask your rotary contact
Where: Dorena, Oregon
When: June 20-25 2023
Cost: 100% Paid by rotary "
4-Way Speech Competition
The following students competed Friday April 14th in the Eugene Delta Rotary, 4-way Speech Competition. The first place winner won $300 and will go on to compete with other local club area winners. The Area Winner then competes in the District Competition on May 13 in Eugene, Oregon. Congratulations to all the students who participated and gave great speeches!