Life During the New Deal
Raylin Taylor and Jeremiah Rates
Roles of Women During the New Deal
- Frances Perkins was the first woman to head an executive department in national government
- Women were leaders in many NEW Deal agencies
Roles of African Americans
- William Hastie became the first black federal judge.- The Black Cabinet met under the leadership of Mary McLeod Bethune, director of negro affairs.
- Roosevelt often explained his record with respect to African Americans by saying he was at the mercy of Southern Democrats in congress.
Artists During This Time
- Writer James Agee depicted the lives of sharecroppers in the lower South.
- Evans was a photographer that worked alongside James Agee.
Popular Entertainment in 1930s
- The Grapes of Wrath turned into a successful Hollywood film in 1940.
- A successful depression themed film was I Am Fugitive.
- Make Way for Tomorrow portrayed the financial hardships of older couples.
- Radio had an important role in American politics.
Sports Figures of the 1930s
- Baseball remained a popular attraction and Babe Ruth continued his career until the mid-1930s.
Music In The 1930s
- Risky dancing with the big bands.