The Rideau Report
"Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." C.S. Lewis
It's hard to believe that March is here already, but we are well underway with second term work and activities as we enjoy the longer days and look ahead to warmer temperatures, which are sure to come eventually.
Students continue to work hard developing math and literacy skills, and important Learning Skills and Work Habits. Our Character Education assembly after the March Break will focus on Honesty and Integrity. We will link these characteristics to our ongoing work on goal-setting and perseverance, encouraging students to be honest with themselves about the effort they put towards meeting their goals, and to always work with integrity, even when it is hard to do.
Our extra-curriculars continue at a rapid pace through March. We wrap up some intramurals that we have been enjoying through the winter months, and we begin our junior boys and girls basketball seasons. These will continue through April. Also, if the weather gets warm enough, some classes may begin running around the track as they work towards another year of Marathon Club goals.
We continue to work to make our communications with families as effective as possible. We hope this newsletter, our website, and the Limestone App are all steps in that direction, and we are interested in your feedback. You can always email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the school at 613-546-5901.
G. Seiveright, Principal
Family Games & Math Night
Spirit Day - Jersey or Team Colour Day - Friday Mar. 8
New Smoke-Free Ontario Guidelines in effect
SafeArrival system now being used
Thank you to everyone who has helped with the roll-out of the SafeArrival Absence Reporting system. We understand that there was some frustration in January, but we believe that most of the problems have been worked out.
The new student absence reporting system lets you use a mobile app, a website, or an interactive toll-free phone number to report an absence in advance. These options are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Future absences can be reported at any time.
If your student is marked absent and the absence hasn’t been reported in advance, our new SafeArrival system will attempt to reach the student’s priority contact by telephone to confirm the absence. If our system is unable to reach the designated contacts, school office staff will follow up.
Reminder: How to report an absence using SafeArrival
There are three ways you can report your student’s absence in advance:
1. Using your mobile device, download and install the SchoolMessenger blue app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store or from School Messenger website or you can select it from within the LDSB mobile app. The first time you use the app, select Sign Up to create your account. Make sure you use the same email address your child’s school has on file. If you do not use that same email address, you will not be able to create an account. You may have already created an account when we introduced the Communicate broadcast system. Select Attendance, then Report an Absence.
2. Use the School Messenger website. The first time you use the website, select Sign Up to create your account. Please ensure you use the same email address your student’s school has on file. If you do not use that same email address, you will not be able to create an account. You may have already created an account when we introduced the Communicate broadcast system. Select Attendance then Report an Absence.
3. Call 1-855-257-9349 toll-free to report an absence using the automated phone system.
Please do not call the school directly to report your student's absence.
This new system will begin on January 14, 2019.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we implement this new system.
Canadian Math Kangaroo Contest returns to Queen's
- March 8 - Spirit Day - Jersey/Team Colours Day
- March 11 - 15 - March Break
- March 18 - Character Assembly - Honesty/Integrity
- March 20 - School Council - 6:30
- March 22 - Limestone Skills Competition - Lego Robotics and Character Animation
- April 4 - Family Games & Math Night - 5:00 - 7:00
- April 5 - PA Day
Check our school calendar on our website for the most current listing of events!