Templo Mayor

Hannah Higgins Doyle 5th period

Templo Mayor

The Templo Mayor stands in the heart of Mexico City. The temple was used by the Aztec people and stood within an enclosed area known as the sacred precinct. The temple is dedicated to two different Aztec gods, Huitzilopochtli, god of war and Tlaloc, god of rain and agriculture. The temple was built in 1325 and measures approximatley 100 by 80 meters. The Templo Mayor was destroyed by the Spanish in 1521 and was not rediscovered until 1978 by a group of construction workers. The Temple Mayor is now a tourist attraction where people from all over the world come and visit.