February 9, 2018
Important Dates to Remember
- 9 - PTA's Father/Daughter Dance, 6:30 p.m. (Please note time change)
- 15 - School Spirit Day - Pajama Day
- 16 - Countywide Professional Learning Day, schools closed for students
- 16 - PTA Snow Tubing Trip, 12:00-6:00 p.m.
- 19 - Presidents' Day, schools & offices closed
- 1 - PTA Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
- 2 - School Spirit Day - Dr. Seuss Day
- 2 - 3rd Grade - Poetry Slam, 12:00-1:00 p.m.
- 5-9 - Kindergarten Registration Week, 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- 6 - Reading Night, 6:00 p.m.
- 7 - Interim Reports Issued
- 7 - Kindergarten Registration Night, 3:30-7:30 p.m.
- 12 - Hearing & Vision Screening
- 16 - Class/Individual Pictures
- 16 - Howard County Library Spelling Bee, 7:00 p.m.
- 16 - PTA's Annual Bingo, 6:30 p.m. at St. Michael's Church (doors open at 5:00 p.m.)
- 21 - 2nd Grade Visits the Historical Society, 9:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- 22 - Hearing & Vision Re-screening
- 29 - Kindergarten Visits Toby's, 9:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- 30 - Good Friday, schools & offices closed
From the Superintendent
Dear HCPSS Community:
Now that we have had a fourth inclement weather related closing, I want to give you an update on the school calendar for the remainder of this year.
Our academic calendar designates five possible inclement weather make-up days: February 19, April 4, 5, and 6, and June 15. Using February 19 (President’s Day) would have required a state waiver, as it is a state mandated holiday, and would have caused significant budget pressures. Instead, the Board of Education has approved the use May 18 in lieu of February 19 as a make-up day.
After carefully reviewing our options, I want to provide you with the following information as well as my rationale about specific days to be used to make up school closings. I understand that any mid-year changes to the calendar can be disappointing, especially to students and families who have already made plans. Please be aware that our primary consideration in making these decisions is a commitment to quality instruction. We also wanted to provide you a level of predictability as we look ahead to the rest of the school year.
- Schools now will be in session on April 4, 5, and 6 and for a half-day on May 18 to make up for the four inclement weather days used.
- If schools are closed for one additional inclement weather day, June 15 will be used.
- State law mandates that the school year must be completed by June 15. If additional inclement weather closings become necessary, HCPSS will petition the Maryland State Department of Education for a waiver of the additional days.
The fifth possible make-up day on June 15 falls on a Muslim holiday. Per Board policy, no activities or exams can be scheduled on this day. This will require all end of school assemblies, promotion ceremonies, celebrations and final exams to be held on June 14 but still require students to attend on the day after. As an educator and a parent, I know that adding an additional day to the end of the school year would not effectively replace the valuable instruction days lost to inclement weather. HCPSS will use June 15 as a last resort to ensure that make up days will truly serve as replacement days for the instruction time that has been lost.
We will continue to carefully weigh all decisions to close school when inclement weather threatens the safety of students and staff, and will notify families as soon as possible should any additional changes to the school calendar become necessary. For more information on the school calendar and inclement weather closings, please visit www.hcpss.org.
Mobile Ag Lab Volunteers Needed
The PTA is excited about the return of the Mobile Ag Lab this year - from 2/26 - 3/2! We're looking for parent volunteers to help students in the lab. Could you give less than an hour to guarantee the success of this great learning opportunity for our ROARsome LES students? You can find more information and sign-up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b44a9ab2aa4f85-lesmobile1
VOLUNTEERS, PLEASE NOTE: You must have completed the volunteer training for the 2017-18 school year in order to help. The training is online and is quick and easy to complete! Follow this link for the details: http://www.hcpss.org/parents/volunteer-information/
G/T Summer Institutes
Registration for the G/T Summer Institutes for Talent Development is now open. These courses are a great opportunity for students to participate in summer enrichment taught by fabulous teachers. The Institute is offered at Wilde Lake Middle School this year. The catalog and registration form are available at http://www.hcpss.org/f/summer/summer-school-gt.pdf.
MD PATRIOT GUARD
WE NEED YOUR HELP!!
Lisbon Elementary will be donating items to the MARYLAND PATRIOT GUARD to help with their collection of items for Veterans in need.
Items needed: Toiletries (shampoo, soap, lotion, laundry soap pods, feminine products, Chapstick), non-perishable pantry items and adult undergarments size M, L, XL
All donations are greatly appreciated and may be dropped in the boxes located in the front office of Lisbon Elementary!!
Donations will be accepted until March 1, 2018.
Thank you for your support!!
Lisbon PTA’s Annual Bingo
Please join us on…
Friday, March 16, 2018 at St. Michael’s Church
Doors open at 5pm and Bingo begins at 6:30pm
Tickets are $18 in advance & $20 at the door
(Ticket price includes 20 regular games. Special games & Raffles sold separately.)
Food & Drink Available for Purchase
Our annual Bingo is just five weeks away! This popular, fun, family event is our largest fundraiser and the proceeds from the event fund PTA and school activities.
To ensure its continued success, we need your support! Here’s how you can help:
• Be a sponsor of a Vera Bradley®, Thirty-One®, Kate Spade®, Coach® or one of our other prizes (see reverse side). Families and/or businesses can sponsor a bag and will be listed in our program and promoted the evening of our event.
• Provide a monetary donation to fill our bags and totes, or to be used as a general donation to support this event. Sponsorships/monetary donations are tax-deductible.
• Buy a ticket (or more) and attend! It is such a fun night and we have so many great prizes to be won!
• Volunteer. Help is needed prior to the start of bingo and during the bingo. Help for just a part or all of the evening!
Thank you in advance for your support!
Ticket & Sponsor Form
____ Enclosed is my tax-deductible donation to be a sponsor. (Please check prize listed below.)
____ Enclosed is my tax-deductible general donation/donation to fill a bag.
____ $10 ____ $15 ____ $25 ____ Other
o Kate Spade Small Dally $200
o Kate Spade Taden $150
o Kate Spade Carli $150
o Dooney & Bourke Ravens Handbag $125
o 31 All Packed Duffle $85
o 31 Large Utility Tote $85
o Coach Double Zipper Crossbody $85
o Vera Bradley Hipster Crossbody $60
o Vera Bradley Triple Zip Hipster $50
o Vera Bradley Glenna Shoulder Bag $50
o 31 Medium Utility Tote $50
o Simply Noelle Leather Saddle Bag $50
o Vera Bradley Mandy Shoulder Bag $45
o Dana Buchman Lexi Tote $45
o Scout Bagette Market Tote $40
o Scout Sally Go Lightly Crossbody $40
o Vera Bradley Tote $40
o Scout Kate Wristlet $35
o 31 Tall Organizing Tote $35
o Canvas Garden Tote $35
o 31 Thermal Tote $30
o Cold Drinks Bucket $30
o Consolation prizes #1-#5 $30
o Consolation prizes #6-#10 $30
o Consolation prizes #11-#15 $30
o 31 Mini Catch All Bin $25
o Batter Bowl $25
o 31 Go-To Thermal $25
o Crafty Crate $25
o Adidas Sling Bag $25
o Etched Stone Canister $25
o Apple Bowl $25
(Please print your Business/Family Name as you would like it to appear in the Program)
Email _____________________________________________ Phone number_____________________________
Receipts will be emailed.
Sponsorship/Monetary Donation: $__________________________________________
Tickets: $18 (x) # _________ = $__________________________________________________
(Email confirmation will be sent. A ‘will call’ list is held at the door the night of the event.)
Total Enclosed: $___________________________________________
***PLEASE MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO LISBON PTA & RETURN TO SCHOOL – ATTN: PTA BINGO***
Kindergarten & New First Grade Registration Starts March 5
Kindergarten registration begins Monday, March 5 through Friday, March 9 at
Lisbon Elementary School. Children who will be five as of September 1, 2018, must enroll in Kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year.
Registration will take place from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. daily. There will be one
Evening Registration available on Wednesday, March 7 from 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. No appointment is necessary.
You will need to bring the following documents:
- Birth certificate, birth registration or passport.
- Current immunization record - must be a print out from the pediatrician and signed.
- Deed or lease to your home
- Current utility bill
- Photo ID of parent/guardian registering the student
Please visit the Howard County Public School System website for complete information about enrollment and registration.
Bushy Park Regional Early Childhood Center
Learning Together Program – Prekindergarten
The Bushy Park Regional Early Childhood Center (RECC) preschool programs are making preparations for classes for the 2018-2019 school year. These classes include children with and without disabilities. The program’s focus is helping all children develop communication, literacy, math, problem solving, motor, and social skills. Parents of children who will be 3 by September 1st may contact Katie Hereth at Bushy Park Elementary in the school office for an application package beginning February 15, 2018. There are no available 4 year old learning together peer spots for the 2018-2019 school year.
The Howard County Public School System continues to offer a prekindergarten program for income eligible children who will be four years old by September 1. Please contact Katie Hereth at 410-313-5500 for additional information.
All applications must be returned by the last Friday in March. A limited number of openings are available for children without disabilities. Children are selected based upon screening information given on the application form and the “Ages and Stages Questionnaire,” as well as observations of the child’s participation in a playgroup on April 13, 2018 from 10am-10:45am at Bushy Park RECC. If necessary, a lottery process is conducted.
If you have any questions, please contact Katie Hereth at (410) 313-5500.
Winter Weather Preparedness
School Emergency Closing Information Sources
In times of emergencies/school closings, information will be shared with the community through the following:
- Our school system homepage
- HCPSS News email and text message alerts – Learn more
- HCPSS Information Hotline – 410-313-6666
- Twitter – @hcpss
- Facebook – Howard County Public School System
- HCPSS cable TV – Comcast 95/Verizon 42
Please note: The HCPSS does not use schools-out.com or e-schoolnews.com for any notifications.
Emergency And Weather-related School Closing Details
If it is necessary for the superintendent to close or delay the start of schools due to inclement weather or other emergencies, parents may obtain information from the sources listed above.
If Howard County public schools open one or two hours late, there is no half-day prekindergarten/RECC. If schools are closed, or closed early due to weather conditions, all after-school and evening activities, both school and non-school, scheduled in school facilities are canceled.
On weekends and holidays, if the Howard County Snow Emergency Plan is in effect by 7 a.m., activities already in progress may be completed but any activity scheduled to begin after that time is canceled.
During times of emergency or adverse weather conditions, we request that you do not call your child’s school or the central office as it is important to keep phone lines free for emergency calls.
Early Dismissals For Inclement Weather
If inclement weather conditions develop during the school day, the Director of Transportation follows the procedures used to determine late openings or school closures. Generally, a decision to close schools early is made no later than 10:30 a.m. In deciding whether or not to close schools early, the Superintendent will consult with the Director of Transportation, the Deputy Superintendent, the Director of Operations, the Community Services Specialist, the Coordinator of Athletics, the Director of Public Relations, and other staff members as appropriate.
School Sponsored and Community Sponsored After-School and Evening Activities
- If schools are dismissed early for inclement weather, all after-school and evening activities in schools—both school sponsored and community sponsored—are cancelled.
High School Athletics
- If schools are dismissed early due to inclement weather, all high school athletic practices and games are cancelled.
Upcoming School Spirit Days
Below, you will find information about school spirit days through January.
Community News and Programs
The link below will take you to community notices are neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Howard County Public School System.