By Ryan Birch Block: G
The Development of Early Agriculture
- The main supplies of fruit were in Canada.
- The Valley had perfect sites for orchard field because of their good soil and drainage.
- In 1857 the first fruit tree was planted.
- Growers would bring fruit to the five warehouses to store fruit so it would be safely.
- Machinery was introduced to the fruit products in 1921.
- A major Revolutionary cultist J.W. Huges got the great business of ranching in 1928.
What are the importance of the Okanagan Explosion
Role of the Okanagan Fur Brigade Trail played in Agriculture
What was the impact of the early Europeans on the growth and development of the Okanagan Valley ?
2-3 Interesting facts
-Before George moved here he lived in New Zealand for 5 years looking out for the gold discovery
- The Whelan family plot was in pioneer century
Whelan Family orchard
This was The ranching farm/orchard where George Whelan grew up in the okanagan and built one of the biggest orchard projects in the okanagan Valley.
Over 3,000 acres of land was owned by George Whelan which was given to other ranchers to make their own orchards etc. this is the time where George died and still lives on Ellison
This was where cloverable ranch in the okanagan was built and this was one of the biggest orcharding project ever made and George Whelan made his own Apple cider from this project