Pineland Hospital & Training Center
Located in New Gloucester Maine
Opened in 1907 as the Maine school for the feeble-minded, it was open to individuals aged 3-21 who had an intellectual disability
While aimed to house children with intellectual disabilities, it was often inhabited by children who were orphaned, had physical disabilities, or whose parents were to poor to take care of them. Legislation only permited children aged 3-21, however few patients ever actually left the facility.
In 1925 it was renamed the Pownal State School. In 1925 sterilization became permitted at the school as its popularity was spreading the country.
In the 1930s education and life skills training became increasingly included into the daily routine.
Reaching its peak in the 1950's it housed over 1,700 residents in over 50 buildings. Pineland farms was a working farm and took in revenue for most of its existing, helping to defray the cost of operation.
In 1957 it was renamed the Pineland Hospital and Training Center. A psychiatric wing was added to the facility.
In 1973 the name was once again changed to just Pineland Center, resident numbers quickly dropped as institutions were falling out of fashion, eventually Pineland Center closed its doors in 1996.
In 2000 it was purchased, along with over 3000 more acres to become Pineland farm, a recreational area.
"Voices of Pineland" by Stephen T. Murphy
This book gives history on the lives of those with an Intellectual Disability in Maine, written through the lens of the Pineland hospital and Training Center.
Pineland Classroom 1937
There were some academic programs, as well as vocational and manual training and physical education services for children at Pineland. Some students also worked on the school's two farms and a number of students made or repaired items used in daily operations at the facility.
Valley Farm, at Pineland
One of two farms located on Pineland in the 1930s. Many students worked on the farms which provided meat, dairy, and produce for the residents of Pineland.