Welcome to Russian 1 Class!
North Carolina Virtual Public School
Sorry for the long message, please read to the end.
My name is Kateryna (Katya) Decker and I will be your Russian teacher and I am pleased to welcome you to my class. I live in Union county, NC, just south of Charlotte. I was born and grew up in Ukraine where I was also a language teacher. I came to US 17 years ago as a student. I am married and have two children. My son Arthur is a 7th grader at Weddington Middle and my daughter Larissa is a junior at Weddington High. I love to teach language, read, and travel. Last summer I traveled with my students to Europe (Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Budapest) and to Russia the summer before. It was such a joy to meet my online students and travel together. My next trip (Summer 2018) is to Italy - it will highlight places where famous Russian writers lived and worked. In Summer 2019 we are going to Russia again (Moscow, St.Peterburg, Tallinn, Helsinki).
Let me know if you are interested to know the details and if this is something you may consider.
First Day of Class - Important Information
- Log in: you need to get your log in to our class at your school. Our class is in Canvas. Use this link to log in https://ncvps.instructure.com/login/canvas
- How do you know what to do when you log in? You will see Information on how to contact me and links to the different parts of the class. Make sure to click Daily Announcements first. You may need to scroll the page to find it. In Daily Announcements you will find an announcement from me every day of the class that will be telling you what to do. If you are ever confused or have question just pick up the phone call, text or email me.
- Conversation sessions. In this class you will be assigned a language coach who will help you practice your reading and speaking in Russian. It is not a test. It is like a tutoring session. You will talk with coach twice a week in online classroom called Adobe Connect (access will be provided by our school) for 45 min each time in the convenient for you time. You get to pick when. You will need a working microphone and a computer to participate in conversation lessons twice a week. In order for me to successfully schedule your speaking sessions and be able to communicate with you I need each student to fill out the following two forms below.
Put your name in the Conversation Sessions form below
Register for Live Speaking Sessions with Russian Language Coach Here.
If you do not know your schedule yet, please fill out this form as soon as you get it.
We Need to Talk
I am sure by now you have some questions :)I have to speak with each student over the phone before our class starts. We will not see each other during the semester but we have to communicate a lot so you can be successful in my online class. I have been calling some students already. I can't wait to talk to all of you and learn about you!
It would be great if you give me call during January 22 -26 so I do not catch you in bad time. I would like to have a word with you (student) and one of the parents as well.
How to contact me: Call/text me 980-328-5125
During the semester you can contact me in the following way:
You can call me between 4pm and 9pm Monday through Friday.
You can text me between 8am and 9pm Monday through Sunday.
You can also email email@example.com
We have to speak for the first time though, not just text.
What to do after you log in to the class?
- Course log in page: https://ncvps.instructure.com/login/canvas
Your school should provide you with username and password.
- Announcements - I (your teacher) will post announcements daily. Make sure to read them.
- Learn about me, your Teacher by exploring the home page and learning how and when to contact me.
- Click on NCVPS Getting Started Unit on the Home page. Read through instructions and presentations so you know how to navigate the course.
- Inbox on the left sidebar is another way to contact me and your language coach. When you log in to the class, send me a message via Inbox letting me know that you have logged in.
Subscribe to my Remind via one of the following ways:
- text @rus1sp18 to 81010
- or use https://www.remind.com/join/rus1sp18
- You will use Learning Modules to access the work for each week. Each new module will contain a week worth of work. Module One contains your work for week One.
- Grades Link is located on the left class navigation. Make sure to check it regularly. I grade daily and leave detailed feedback.
- Participation and time commitment - it is expected that you log in daily and work in your class at least 90 min. The computer keeps track of your log in as well as where and how long you are working.
- Need technical help? Use NCPVS Virtual Support Center.
- Use Peer Tutoring Center where student just like you can help with many tech issues, help you get used to learning online, etc. This is a great resource!
- Some Technical recommendations: It is best to use Google Chrome browser with our class. Make sure to enable the active content in the browser to see different technical tools I will be using.
- The Pacing Guide with due dates can be accessed by clicking on Course Documents on the Home page..
- Parents, most likely you will not be informed by your local school about your child's progress in this class until the end of the semester. Please be advised that you can ask your student to log in to class and show grade book so you are aware of your student standing.
- Parents can also observe their student. Use this link to learn how to get observer access.
- Parents are welcome to contact instructor if they want to know about their child progress.
- Parents are also welcome to sign up for Remind (see above) to be informed about progress in class.
If students need help with online class they can always find it in Peer Tutoring Center. Please explore information below.