Voyager Family News
Silver Strand Elementary School
Spotlights & Reminders
- Our weather is very dry and warm by mid-morning and we are seeing lots of chapped lips! Slather your kiddos in chapstick and consider sending them to school with a tube!
- We look forward to seeing you at Parent-Teacher Conferences next week (October 29-November 2)! Remember that we are on an early release schedule: https://strand.coronadousd.net/calendar/event/8-parentteacher-conference-week-4
- This week’s theme is STRONG, aligned with the APEX Fun Run this week! Strength isn’t just about muscles; strength and endurance are what we use when we are doing something difficult, like finishing challenging work, or solving a problem with friends or classmates. Voyagers will be practicing strength in running, learning, and relating to others!
- The APEX Fun Run is Thursday during PE classes. Send your children to school in fast shoes and well fed and hydrated, and thank you for requesting pledges from family and friends! We are grateful to the APEX crew for their commitment to our school and positive energy and lessons for our students. Funds raised through this drive contribute to all the amazing programs our PTO provides!
- If you have a Halloween costume to donate or trade, come to Friday Flagpole to swap costumes or donate to a local Girl Scout Troop collecting costumes for students at the Monarch School (a bin is in the office).
- THIS FRIDAY IS OUR Nutrition Dept's MONTHLY ICE CREAM DAY AT LUNCH for $1.50. Please plan ahead and pack money for your child if you wish for them to purchase ice cream after they have finished lunch. Due to the need to supervise the front office and attend to other tasks and needs, we will not be able to deliver money to students in their classrooms on Ice Cream Friday. Thank you for preparation and understanding!
Silver Strand Safety and Security from Karen Pierro
October Is Cyber Security Awareness Month!
As parents today, we all know our children are growing up immersed in media. This includes adolescent users that consume and create content, broadcast and stream movies, indulge in sedentary and active video games, as well as view and interact with social media apps. While these platforms can be creative and engaging, it is imperative that parents play a role in monitoring children’s online time and usage.
The website Healthy Children.org has provided some helpful tips & suggestions for all parents to use in this complex digital age. Part 1 is below and part 2 will be sent out next week.
Make a family media use plan. Think about what type of media use is desired or necessary and when to use it to fit the needs of your family. Be sure to not let it replace face-to-face interaction, family-time, outdoor-play, exercise, unplugged downtime, and sleep.
Set limits and encourage playtime. Media use, like all other activities, should have reasonable limits. Unstructured and offline play stimulates creativity. Make unplugged playtime a daily priority, especially for very young children.
Screen time shouldn't always be alone time. Co-view, co-play and co-engage with your children when they are using screens - it encourages social interactions, bonding, and learning. Don't just monitor them online; interact with them so you can understand what they are doing and be a part of it.
Be a good role model. Teach and model kindness and good manners online. Because children are great mimics, limit your own media use.
Know the value of face-to-face communication. Very young children learn best through two-way communication. Engaging in back-and-forth "talk time" is critical for language development.
Limit digital media for your youngest family members. According to a national panel of pediatricians, screen use for preschool - K children, ages 2 to 5, should be limited to just 1 hour a day of high-quality programing.
Using digital devices provides a great deal of benefit when used appropriately and in moderation.
Be on the lookout for more tips in part 2 next week!
Our Voyager Yearbook Needs Your Help!
Thank you to our parent volunteers who put our yearbook together!
Student Council News
- Every Friday is a Voyager Spirit Day! Wear your Silver Strand or community team gear!
- Halloween (Wednesday, October 31) will be a Spirit Day at SSES. Students may wear seasonal tee shirts, socks, or accessories, or simple costumes to school on Halloween but NO MASKS, MAKEUP, or PROPS please. Students should be able to use the bathroom and participate in PE in their costumes.
- The next Student Council meeting is November 1 at lunch.
- Student Council will host a bake sale at the PTO Craft Fair on Saturday November 3.
- Next PTO Meeting is Thursday, November 15 at 6:30 PM at SSES (this is a change from the original date of November 8). This is an evening meeting and we hope to have great participation! Ms. Moore will host a Q&A with the Principal at the conclusion of PTO business.
- Running Club is off to a great start for the primary grades; thank you to parent volunteers for coordinating and supervising. Upper grades need a few more volunteers to get our students sprinting; email email@example.com if you are interested.
- Silver Strand PTO's Craft Fair will be Saturday, November 3 in the morning at SSES. Plan on doing some holiday shopping!
- The PTO has partnered with a local photographer for family photo mini-sessions for your holiday cards or annual photos! Stay tuned for more information!
- Like the Silver Strand PTO Facebook page for updates and calendar events: https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs!https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/
TUES 10/23 Principal Moore at Jury Duty
THUR 10/25 APEX Fun Run in PE Classes
FRI 10/26 ICE CREAM FRIDAY--pack $1.50 with your student
8:10am Friday Flagpole Assembly
NEXT WEEK: PARENT CONFERENCE SCHEDULE/MINIMUM DAYS
MON 10/29 PM: Parent Conferences
TUES 10/30 PM: Parent Conferences
WED 10/31 SPIRIT DAY: Halloween gear/simple costumes
PM: Parent Conferences
THUR 11/1 Student Council Meeting at Lunch
PM: Parent Conferences
Letters to Troops due tomorrow
FRI 11/2 8:10am Friday Flagpole Assembly
“Captain Mama” Book Presentations
PM: Parent Conferences
SAT 11/3: Strand PTO Craft Fair and Student Council Bake Sale
ON THE HORIZON:
11/5: 1 PM: Lamb’s Players BASH Assembly
11/9: Special Friday Flagpole: National Military Family Month/Veteran’s Day/United Reading Book Mobile Debut