As a Matter of Fact!
SOMSD Guidance and Resources Regarding the Coronavirus
With rising concern over the new coronavirus outbreak that is currently centered in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, the South Orange & Maplewood School District continues to carefully monitor the situation and heed guidance that has been provided by the New Jersey Department of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization and the NJ Department of Education.
Although this virus is understandably a cause for concern, it is important for New Jersey residents to know that the risk to the general public still remains low. For our District, if a student has recently traveled to Wuhan, China (within the past two-weeks) or has been in close contact with others who recently traveled to Wuhan, China, our District physician is recommending that the student stay home for two weeks before returning to school. Therefore, if any student returns from China, their parent/guardian should call their health care provider (even if symptoms do not currently exist) for a consult and then contact their school nurse.
If a student/parent and/or guardian has symptoms, they should call a healthcare provider immediately and inform them of the close contact with the coronavirus before going into a healthcare provider's office.
Please take a moment to read and access the following important references regarding the Coronavirus:
- NJDOE Corona Virus Guidance & Resources and Updates
- NJ Department of Health Coronavirus Fact Sheet
- NJDOH Coronavirus Information for K-12 Schools - Managing Students (Travelers) Returning from China*
- CDC Coronavirus Guidance for Prevention (February 1, 2020)
- CDC Coronavirus Frequently Asked Questions
- WHO Coronavirus Information
- SOMSD Nursing Website
The NJDOH recommends that everyone follow the steps below to help prevent the transmission of respiratory infections:
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose, and mouth
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
- Staying home when sick and avoiding close contact with others
- Covering mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing and throwing away tissues
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces
- The safety and health of our SOMSD students and staff is a priority and we will keep you updated as needed.
* NJDOH: These guidance documents apply to travelers arriving back to the U.S. before February 2 , 2020 at 5pm. New screening and management protocols might take effect on February 2, 2020 at 5pm. Additional guidance will be made available for those who arrive after this date and time.
SOMSD Intentional Integration Initiative (III) Community Town Hall w/ Superintendent Taylor
Wednesday, Feb. 19th, 7:30-9pm
518 Ridgewood Road
The South Orange & Maplewood School District invites you to the SOMSD III Community Town Hall event (hosted by the Parenting Center) to learn more about the SOMSD Integration Initiative. Join Superintendent, Dr. Ronald G. Taylor as well as other members of District administration as they address the following topics for February's Town Hall:
- School Facilities Update
- Updates on SOMSD III Process & Implementation
- SOMSD Tentative Timeline
- Followed by audience Q&A
Stay tuned for the dates to additional Community-wide Town Hall events which will be taking place from March-May 2020. Events will be posted on the District website shortly.
SOMSD III Feedback Form. As we move forward with the initial planning for SOMSD's III work for our elementary schools, we want to hear from you. If you have a question, comment, concern, suggestion, or compliment, please submit it via our form.
District Upcoming Events
SOMSD Intentional Integration Initiative Community Townhall, Wed., February 19 @ 7:30 pm | Jefferson Elementary School
BOE Special Meeting, Mon., February 10 @ 7pm | DMR, Administrative Bldg.
BOE Meeting, Mon., February 24 @ 7:30pm | DMR, Administrative Bldg.