Copyright Guidelines & Procedures
Consumables & Decision Tool
Some important information that Peel staff must be aware of:
- Copying, scanning, or printing materials intended for one-time use is strictly prohibited. "Materials for one-time use" are workbooks and exercise books in which students record answers. Refer to the Consumables Poster.
- An Interactive tool to support educators in determining what constitutes acceptable material for reproduction under Fair Dealing Guidelines is available. See the Fair Dealing Decision Tool.
Fair Dealing & Supporting Documents
Please make sure you are aware of the Fair Dealing Guidelines. The following supports and materials (and a few others) can also be found on the Professional Library website's Copyright folder. The materials are included here for your convenience. You may need to use your Peel login to access some of the documents.
- Copyright Guidelines and Procedures: CISS 16 (10% rule & more; link)
- Fair Dealing Guidelines Poster (has been posted at all photocopiers & printers)
- Copyright Matters document (key questions & answers for teachers)
- Copyright Q & A (by the professional library: images, music & audio-video)
- Peel's Source It document (how to cite materials)
- Copyright Compliance Checklist (know your responsibilities)
Video Licensing Information
- Peel has purchased the right to show media for educational purposes only. A great place to find media resources is on the BYOD page: Learn360, Curio, NFB, TedTalks, Audio Cine Films, and Criterion. We do NOT have the right to show media from Netflix.
- Please preview anything you wish to show to students. The BYOD resources do not appraise its media for student use. If you'd like to check the movie's rating before you preview it, consult the Ontario Film Review Board site: http://www.ofrb.gov.on.ca/ofrb/start.do (presently not working, unfortunately).
- Additionally, consult the Fair Dealing Decision Tool for other questions regarding the use of media in the classroom.
We Are Modelling for Our Students
Test your Copyright knowledge
1. Open https://join.quizizz.com in your browser
2. Enter the 6-digit game code 285676, and click "Proceed"
3. Now enter your name and click "Join Game!"
4. You will get an avatar, and then see a "Start Game" button. Click it to begin!
Yes, we have lessons!
@AcademicsSay. "If you liked it then you should have put a citation on it." Twitter, 6 Sep. 2016, 8:18 a.m., twitter.com/AcademicsSay/status/773178642969092096.
AFF 2011: Lasalle Graduate Fashion Show - Backstage & Catwalk. Photography. Britannica ImageQuest. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 25 May 2016.
http://quest.eb.com/search/115_3845168/1/115_3845168/cite. Accessed 15 Sep 2016.
Evergreen State Fair Rides at Night. Photography. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.
quest.eb.com/search/139_2017215/1/139_2017215/cite. Accessed 24 Sep 2018.
Garden tools / Lithograph / 1890. Illustration. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.
quest.eb.com/search/109_135615/1/109_135615/cite. Accessed 24 Sep 2018.
Intelligent transport exhibition. Photograph. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 31 Aug 2017.
quest.eb.com/search/132_1500688/1/132_1500688/cite. Accessed 27 Sep 2017.