By: Haley and Shaelyn
What is fat?
- a natural oily and greasy substance occurring in the body (cellulite). Or having a large amount of access flesh.
- fat is also a compound found in food
What is the role/function of fat in the body?
- helps the body maintain its core temperature and absorb nutrients and provides us with energy
- good fats work to keep our bodies healthy and protects our hearts
- bad fats can damage your heart, increasing risk of disease
Why is fat important?
- Its a source of backup energy in cases where carbohydrate are not available you should only consume 40-70g of fat
- certain vitamins which are known as fat soluble need fat in order to be absorbed and stored (vitamin A,D,E,K)
- if you consume food that includes more energy than the body needs to perform its normal functions any excess food is stored as subcutaneous fat under the skin
- you can also find a thin fat layer located right underneath the skin, it is used to insulate the body, giving us the proper temperature.
- it surrounds major organs, nerves, tissues and bones and its designed to act like a protective cushion.
How much fat is needed each day?
- ideal fat intake is 20-30% of your total calorie intake
- It differs from person to person; some people have a better metabolism than others, so it will have an impact on how you distribute the fat.
How much calories should come from fat?
- 20-35% of your daily calories should come from fat. Fat contains 9 calories per gram
- aim for 44-78 grams of fat daily when eating 2000 calories a day and 56-97 grams of fat when eating 2500 meal plan.
What are 10 qualities of food sources of fat?
leanest cuts of beef
- vegetable oils
interesting facts on fat
- fat gives food lots of its flavor and texture
- there are different types of fats saturated fats, unsaturated fat, and trans fat
- we all need fats to live it is an essential need
- muscle weighs more than fat