The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Great Gatsby Glossary
Now the colonial mansion on the North Shore of Long Island, said to be the inspiration of F. Scott Fitzgerald's literary classic The Great Gatsby, has been knocked down and its illustrious history has died with it.
The End of an Era
This clip from "CBS Sunday Morning" discusses the demolition of "Lands End," the great house that is said to have inspired F. Scott Fitzgerald to write his greatest novel The Great Gatsby, The huge mansion fell into a state of disrepair when the maintenance costs for it ran into the millions of dollars.
The Novel's Settings
A surprising examination of the original book jacket art to The Great Gatsby By Jimmy Stamp smithsonian.com May 14, 2013
Tuesday/Wednesday, February 20-21
- Watch and take notes over 1920s video
- Watch news feature about the house that inspired Gatsby
- Discuss setting and book cover
- Read/annotate Ch. 1 - Additional annotation: highlight every instance of color
- Read color symbolism articles. (linked below)
- Decide on a 1920s slang name. Ex: Marbles McMichael (You must keep either your first or last name.)
- Enter slang name into form below.
Whether you are feeling green with envy or you’re singing the blues, the link between color and feeling is a highly individual thing By Alicia Ault smithsonian.com December 15, 2015
From race to wealth to cleanliness, the color’s connotations have a long history.
Thursday/Friday, February 22-23
- Characteristics of Modernists (in 1920s Smore)
- Discuss Ch. 1
- Group Color symbolism activity
- Read Valley of Ashes article and Read/annotate Ch. 2
- Complete Ch. 1 AP Questions