Ms. Wertheim's Little Leaders
News and Resources from Room 203
January 11 through January 15
Hi Room 203 families! I am so happy to be back at school with all twenty of my awesome Little Leaders. I hope each and every one of you had a relaxing holiday break. Happy New Year!
Important Dates and Reminders: Mark your Calendars 📌
Mon., Jan. 11th:Training for school tour guides 9 to 10:30 am - sign up here
Tue., Jan. 12th: Spirit Night at Barleys. Come out and support our Claxton community while enjoying delicious food!
Mon., Jan. 18th & Tue. Jan. 19th: NO SCHOOL, MLK Day and workday
Mon., Jan. 25th - Wed., Jan. 27th: Open House Tours - volunteers sign up here!
Tue., Jan. 26th: Report cards go home
Tue., Feb. 2nd: PTO/Parent Meeting 6 pm at North Asheville Community Center. I will be there and as always, you are welcome to join me. ALL parents are invited. This is a wonderful opportunity to share your voice and hear about the exciting things going on in our school.
Thu., Feb. 18th: Family Voices/Community Outreach Night at the Montford Center
Fri., Feb. 19th: Early Release Day
Thu., Feb. 25th: Tea & Talk with the Superintendent for Claxton Families
Fri., Mar. 18th - 6 pm Light the NIght Auction at the Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr., Asheville - casual dress
Snapshots of Learning ✏️
What we're learning about this week 📚
- Reading- We are using illustrations to understand characters' emotions and motivations.
- Writing- We are finishing our States of Matter books.
- Math- We are continuing addition and subtraction within 100. Our addition and subtraction math strategy posters are located in the page protector in your child's homework folder. Feel free to email me with any clarifying questions. I am proud of their hard work with these new strategies!
- FUNdations- We are beginning Unit 8, which focuses on a new syllable type: the r-controlled syllable. This syllable has a vowel that is controlled by the "r" consonant to change the sound of the vowel. The r-controlled vowels are: ar (car), er (her), ir (bird), or (horn), and ur (burn). For more info, please read the letter attached to their Fundations homework or visit the Fundations page on my blog: http://mswertheim.blogspot.com/p/reading.html .
- Science- Students are continuing to observe how matter changes through heating, cooling, and evaporation.
- Social Studies- We are continuing to learn about citizenship and government.
Wish List 🌟
- Skinny dry erase markers
- Snack (healthy options please) Pre-packaged snacks such as fruit snacks or granola bars are so helpful to pass out snack quickly :)
Class Dojo, Behavior Assessments, and Homework 📓
Behavior assessments are filled out each day by your child. I am so proud of their self-reflection skills! They've done an excellent job with their self-assessments so far. Please be sure to discuss their achievements with them and sign the assessment each evening.
Homework this week consists of:
- Read each night for 20 minutes and fill out reading log/Bingo board
- Math packet (due Friday)
We will begin reading responses next week.