Reading Work Sample
How to train a dog
Among the many important responsibilities dog owners have, training a dog is among the most important. Well-trained pets are easier to care for and love, cause less damage to your home (and theirs), and live happier lives. In this article, we cover many of the basics of dog training. But we also cover some important facets of dogs themselves -- which you need to be familiar with in order to communicate with your pooch.These include how dogs communicate to you through body language and noises. Dogs send myriad messages with their bodies and their voices -- this is one reason why they're so fascinating and beloved. The more you understand their messages, the more you understand them and how your own messages are being understood. Read this entire article carefully -- there are three sections after this one -- and then put the wisdom into practice. Here's what we'll cover:
Dogs use their entire body to communicate. Their eyes and ears are especially dynamic, and they give sure-fire clues to dogs' emotions and impulses. How dogs tilt their heads, move their legs and torsos, wag (or raise or drop) their tails -- all these things contribute to the messages being sent. In this section, we cover many of the silent messages your pooch will give you, from his nose to his tail.
Dogs are probably the most "verbally" expressive of all domesticated animals, and this only adds to their charm. From the whine of a puppy to the angry growl of an adult, dogs mean what they say. The more you understand these signals, the happier you and your dog will be. At the same time, it's important to know which noises constitute an annoyance, and how to train your dog to stop making them. We'll offer suggestions on teaching a dog to stop barking in this section.
It's important to know not only how to train a dog, but what to train it to do. Puppies have no sense of correct behavior, so they offer a million things you could correct; which should you address? In this section, we'll cover what to correct as well as how to train a pooch. We'll also discuss dog obediences classes -- also known as puppy kindergarten -- and specific thing you can teach your dog if you plan on traveling with it. Life tosses up myriad challenges to a dog's sense of obedience, and the more he's trained to understand, the happier you both will be. Finally, for fun and practical benefit, we'll cover a few basic tricks you can teach your dog. They're a wonderful way to bond with your pet and to entertain the both of you, while teaching it how to behave and react to your commands. Everybody wins!
Fortney, William. "How to Train a Dog." Animal Planet. Discovery Communications, Web. 29 May 2013. <http://animal.discovery.com/pets/how-to-train-a-dog.htm>.
1. What is your opinion of training your dog?
2. What is the most important thing about training your dog?
1. Discuss the pros and cons of dog training.
2. How would you explain how to preform dog training?
1. What is the main idea of this article?
2. Summarize this article?
2. The most important thing is to teach him what he needs to learn. And discipline him if he doesn't listen.
1. The pros would be, you have a good dog, he will listen, and he won't do stuff he's not supposed to. A con would be if you took him to classes, it could cost a lot, and if you teach him at home, you might not teach him right, and he could still be bad, or untrained.
2. What you would need to do is keep telling your dog what to do, and if he does it then he gets a treat for doing it, that way it will motivate him to do what you want him to do.
1. The main idea is to show that if you train your dog you and the dog will both be happy, and will bond a lot more.
2. To summarize this, it's saying that you should train your dog so you can understand each other and be a lot happier, and bond more with your dog.