- Domain Eukarya This domain contains organisms whose cells have a nucleus. They can be single-celled or multicellular.
- Kingdom Animalia All are multicellular, heterotrophs, and have the ability to move at some point in life.
- Phylum Chordata Members have bilateral symmetry, a notochord (stiff rod that extends for the length of the body), and a complete digestive system.
- Subphylum Vertebrata This group has a backbone, an endoskeleton, and their movements are provided by muscles attached to the endoskeleton.
- Class Mammalia These animals produce milk with mammary glands, have hair, and three inner ear bones.
- Order Carnivora They have specialized teeth for cutting meat. They generally are medium-sized animals, with males typically being larger than females.
- Family Ursidae Dog-like carnivorans
Length 180 to 250 cm
Weight 150 to 800 kg
Color The color of a polar bear is usually white because of the fur. But in the summer it can also be a yellowish color because of oxidation, it could also be a gray or brownish color depending on the season and the amount of light there is in the day.
Natural RangeThe natural range for the polar bear is a big area in the Artic Circle, and near the Artic Ocean plus its nearby seas and large land masses.
Habitat Description The polar bear stays in a habitat that are full of peaks of ice and glaciers.
Predators The predators of a polar bear and really only just humans, and other polar bears
Polar bear in it's habitat
The polar bears color helps it blend in with it's surroundings.
Polar bear with it's cubs
In this picture it shows the mother and 2 cubs.
Natural range map
This map shows were polar bears are normally found.
polar bears are very large in size which helps them survive because a large animal has a higher volume to surface area, which means you only lose heat through the skin but the fur would trap it keeping the bear warm.There is a lot of fat almost like blubber which would help them survive because it can be up to 10 centimeters thick, the reason it can get that big is because polar bear milk is very high in fat and protein helping the cubs stay warm which helps keep the polar bears offspring alive .The polar bear has water repellent fur that helps the polar bear from freezing after it comes out of the water, like after it hunts it comes out of the water completely wet but the oils in the bears fur help get the water of faster which would help so he wont freeze.The polar bear’s small ears and tail offer less surface area than large ears or tails, and help maintain body warmth.They have a high calorie diet, which helps them make the fat layer, and the fat layer's job is to keep the bear from freezing.
They might sometimes try to scavenge/steal another bears kill so they could keep there fat layer which helps the keep warm.The pregnant polar bears would hibernate in a den so the cubs don't need to endure the harsh winter environment. They.They hunt and kill each other more often now because of the melting ice caps not letting them reach there usual food supply.Shelter from winds that sweep over the ice in strong gusts, unbroken by trees or vegetation Because of global warming polar bears have to switch there diet between plants and seals. This helps them because if they can't find a seal to eat seal they can eat plants.