Wolf Call Weekly
Welcome to this week!
Need an audio/video version? Click HERE.
HELLO WOLF PACK STUDENTS AND FAMILIES,
We hope that you have been able to connect with your quarter 3 teachers and are engaged with them.
If you have a questions about your Quarter 3 classes, contact your teacher via email or during their scheduled availability.
In an effort to continue improving communication to our families and community of West Hills High School, please take a moment to review the weekly, informative messages below.
Are you looking for previous editions of the Wolf Call Weekly? The West Hills website has them as a resource. (Info, Wolf Call Weekly)
We encourage your participation as an active reader of these communications that will help bridge our communication between WHHS and Students & Families. Thank you for your continued support for all students at West Hills!
Robin Ballarin, Principal
Apri Baker, Assistant Principal (A-G)
Carrie Gaeir, Assistant Principal (H-O)
John Hoadley, Assistant Principal (P-Z)
Cyndi Nowlen, Manager of School Facilities
“I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.”
-Michael Jordan- who is a former professional basketball player, Olympic athlete, businessperson and actor. He is considered one of the best basketball players ever, as he dominated the sport from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s. Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to six National Basketball Association championships and earned the NBA's Most Valuable Player Award five times. Jordan became the most decorated player in the NBA.
Move to Level 3 Update
Hello Wolf Pack Families,
Please see our Superintendent´s announcement that parents and students choosing on campus hybrid learning will now attend two days a week beginning the week of March 1. A few things to note:
- **Groups A & C will attend Tuesdays and Thursdays, with Groups B & D attending Wednesdays and Fridays. If this poses a problem for you, please contact your counselor.
- **We are asking students to attend both days of the week. If that is not possible for some reason, please call in to attendance (once we begin this schedule) and let Ms. Devore know. The attendance 24 hour line is 619-956-0434 to report on campus absences. Students in distance learning only continue to communicate with their teacher regarding any absences / inability to work online.
- **Due to maximum classroom guidelines and social distancing based on California Public Health Guidelines for schools, we may need to balance classroom attendance days. We will contact you in the rare event this is needed and work with you and your student on this if needed.
- **If you are distance learning only currently and you want to return to on campus attendance, please contact your counselor.
**Questions about this move to Level 3? Please contact our Admin office at 619-956-0400 or email any Administrator.
WHHS Celebrates Black History Month
We celebrate our diversity within our school community. February is a special month of acknowledgement and recognition of Black History Month. It is an annual celebration of the many achievements by African Americans and a time for recognizing their central role in U.S. history. Every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month. Other countries around the world, including Canada and the United Kingdom, also devote a month to celebrating Black history. This week, we conclude the celebration at WHHS!
February #ReadingBlackout Calendar from the Library
See the reading list HERE.
Equity Committee Meeting
Last week our committee meet and discussed many different items!
If you would like to join us in our next meeting, please email April Baker (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Robin Ballarin (email@example.com) and we will add you to the email invite. Our next meeting time is February 23, 2021 from 4:00pm-5:00pm.
Our sub-committees were the idea of students in our committee at large and are student lead! We welcome all who want to work on our racial, gender, religious and cultural equity issues within our community.
You may read the notes from our latest meeting here.
Important Dates for March 2021
- March 1st: Level 3 begins (see above for more info)
- March 12th- End of Quarter 3
- Monday March 15th - Thursday March 25th -Campus closed for Spring Break
- Friday March 26th- Quarter 4 begins- No students attend campus: log in to your email, check Schoology or Google Classroom for your distance learning schedule, activities, assignments & class updates.
ELPAC test for English Language Learners
Information on testing can be found HERE AND will be emailed to the student's GUHSD account. Please remind your student to check their email today!
If you or your student have any questions, please email Barbra Ruggles EL Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org OR their dALD teacher Mr. Acosta (email@example.com).
Student Tutorial Schedule for Q. 3
Please click HERE for our tutorial schedule. All students (including blended and distance learners) are encouraged to attend any sessions that we offer tutorial services for!
Be well Wolf Pack!
West Hills ¨Golden Apple Teacher of the Year¨
We are proud to announce our students selection for this year, Mrs. Reid!
Mrs. Reid has involved herself in not only teaching Global Studies (9), World History (10) and US History (11), but also is a Co-Class Advisor for the Class of 2022 and an active member of our Equity and Literacy Committees, working with students, parents, faculty, staff and community members.
Congratulations Mrs. Reid!
Congrats Mrs. Crenshaw!
Congratulations to Mrs. Pam Crenshaw who was recently named our Classified Employee of the Year! Mrs. Crehnshaw has worked in our Guidance office since 2003 and is the "glue" to holding all of the millions pieces of information regarding all things Guidance related in one place.
Thank you for your dedication to West Hills.
Seniors: Are you Interested in Attending Grossmont College?
Here is the first step in doing so:
- Please join our Outreach Team by signing up for 1 of our workshops
- There are 4 dates to select from: March 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th from 1-3pm (only select one of these days)
- All workshops will be held via Zoom
- Click HERE to sign up for the 1st workshop! (you must use your @GUHSD.net email account)
You will then receive guidance in submitting the application and answers to your questions, and learn more about our First Year Experience Program.
We look forward to seeing you! See the flyer below for more information!
WHHS Blood Drive
Social Distance Photo Scavenger Hunt
*Gather with your family at home and get ready for some shenanigans.
*We have put together a list of tasks for you and your family to complete. You
will choose 25 of the items and photograph at least one member of your family performing each task.
*After you have completed your 25 items, send all 25 pictures to us via
Instagram message and we will respond with the location where you can drive through and pick up your prize.
Click HERE for more information!
WHHS Legacy Bricks for Sale!
West Hills High School PTSA is offering custom laser-engraved brick pavers that will forever line the walk-path outside of our athletic stadium. Personalize your brick with a family name, student name, company name, or in memory of a cherished loved one. Custom-engraved pavers also make a great gift for a respected faculty member or West Hills Alumni.
Click HERE for more info!
Mental Health Resources
- crisis/access lines,
- phone apps designed to support mental health,
- some wellness tips from our Youth Advisors.
Also, please see our upcoming parent forum! More info below..
Is your student returning to WHHS next year?
Please click HERE for more information!
Questions? Please contact Assistant Principal's Secretary Mrs. Lenhoff at 619.956.0425 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you currently have a job or want to get one?
If the answer is "yes" to either question then please remember these important guidelines:
- All work hours must be outside of school hours.
- This means you cannot work during the classes you are enrolled in (following our bell schedule day) and when your teacher has required zoom meetings.
- Students must meet and maintain a 2.0 G.P.A (grade point average) to obtain and keep a work permit.
- Attend school regularly (including zoom sessions) on time to obtain and keep a work permit.
If you obtained a new job or switched employers, you need a new work permit.
Click HERE for more information about obtaining a new or updated work permit.
COVID Reporting Information
Hello Wolf Pack students and families,
Thank YOU for being so responsible, respectful and honorable in staying home if you are ill. We are truly grateful to all in our school community who have emailed, called or let us know of a student's positive circumstance and in keeping them home to fully recover. While we do get notification from the Public Health Department, YOU find out before we do and this makes all the difference on campus!
If you have any signs or symptoms of covid, or if you have had close contact (live in the same household) with someone who has tested positive:
- Please stay home.
- Email our nurse Lori Farra at Lfarra@guhsd.net or call her at 619-956-0471.
- Please include the last date your student was on campus (if they were).
- You can also email teachers (although for student privacy, you do not need to disclose why the student might not be turning in work right away or on campus for 10 days).
As a reminder, everyone coming onto campus is required to wear a mask, get their temperature taken, keep 6 ft. social distance, and wash hands frequently.
Thank you for helping us to keep our school community safe.
Go Wolf Pack!
Students and Parents/Guardians:
The faculty and staff are proud to partner with you in the education of your student. Educational success for all students cannot be complete without an effective partnership with all parents/guardians. You are the most essential part of your children’s education, and it is important that we build a strong relationship in order to best serve your student’s educational needs.
We strongly encourage you to review the 2020-21 Student Handbook.
For more information or questions, please contact your assigned Assistant Principal.
A Friendly Reminder...
- to WEAR FACE MASKS at all times while on campus: This is NOT optional.
- if you are wearing a clear face shield, you MUST WEAR A FACE MASK in addition to the face shield.
Neck and Face Gaiters Reminder
- Also, The CDC has updated their website and our District has asked us to make sure we are not allowing neck and face gaiters on campus any longer.
- Please see the CDC page here for more information.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Connect with WHHS
Mending Matters: @mendingmatters
WHHS Distance Learning Hub: https://sites.google.com/guhsd.net/whhs-hub/home