We Are Together Tamanend!
February 21, 2020
Saturday, February 22 is Kelly Anne Dolan Day at Tamanend!
This year marks the 20th Anniversary of Tamanend's involvement with the Kelly Anne Dolan Foundation. Each year, Tamanend hosts a basketball tournament to raise money for the fund which assists families caring for children with serious illnesses. This year's tournament will be held on Saturday, February 22.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Kelly Anne Dolan Day--Saturday, February 22
CB Drug Awareness Event--Monday, February 24 at 5:00 PM at CB South
Broadway Cares--Tuesday, February 25 at 7:00 PM at CB South
Tamanend Orchestra Night--Thursday, February 27 at 7:00 PM
Relay for Life Kick Off Assembly--Friday, March 6 during school day
- There will be an informational meeting for all 7th and 8th Grade girls interested in playing lacrosse for Tamanend on Tuesday, February 25th during Advisory in the Auditorium. If you can’t attend, please see Mr. Klein.
- If you are interested in participating in Spring Sports, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of tryouts which begin in March. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page, which can be found HERE, and will be explained at the organizational meetings.
- Any 7th/8th Grader who is trying out/participating in a Spring sport must have ImPact (concussion) testing done prior to the start of your season. Any athlete who took ImPact for another sport played at Tamanend does not need to take it again. If an athlete has not yet taken it, s/he must attend testing after school on Thursday, February 27th in the cafeteria with Mr. Fynes. Students staying for testing must arrange for a ride by 3:45. If you have any questions, please see Mr. Klein or Mr. Fynes.
- Family ID is now open for spring sports registration for any student in 7th and 8th Grades trying out for a spring sport. The deadline to register is Sun. March 15.
- Tamanend Athletics has a new web site: https://tamanendathletics.com/. Students and parents are encouraged to register as “Fans” for their teams which will allow you to receive immediate notifications when games are changed or cancelled. Simply click on “GET ALERTS” to add your favorite teams, then choose how you want to receive notifications. Please see the flier below for additional information.
- If students plan to stay after school on game days, they must be at the game and not walking around or leaving campus. If students are not where they are supposed to be, they will not be permitted to attend future games. Thank you for your cooperation.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- Any student-athletes interested in trying out for a spring sport at CB South and missed the concussion meeting on February 5 must attend the make-up concussion education and impact testing on Tuesday, February 18th in the forum room at CB South. This is your LAST CHANCE to complete concussion testing.
- Family ID is now open for Spring sports registration for any student grades 9-12 trying out for a spring sport. The deadline to register is Wed. Feb. 26.
- All interested, rising 9th-12th grade boys in playing soccer for the upcoming school year, please ask your parents to join you at 7 pm on March 3rd in the Forum Room for a general interest meeting. At this meeting, the coaching staff will highlight an offseason training program, summer camp, expectations for team selection, and tentative season schedule. This meeting will also help collect contact information for future communications for the team. Any questions or concerns please contact Coach Coscia at email@example.com.
- Please see the flier below for information about the upcoming CB South Youth Baseball Clinic on March 7th.
- If you are interested in attending CB South’s A and/or AAA ice hockey games, please see the schedules included in this newsletter.
- 7th grade boys basketball vs. Holicong (H; 3:15); scoreboard: Erika
- No contests
- 7th grade boys basketball @ Tohickon (A; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th grade boys basketball vs. Lenape (H; 3:15); scoreboard: Max
- ImPact (concussion) testing for 7th and 8th grade students who are trying out for Spring sports and have not yet taken ImPact (cafeteria; 2:45-3:45)
- No contests
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Tickets Now on Sale for Tamanend Spring Musical Bye Bye Birde
Tickets are now on sale for the Tamanend Players musical production Bye Bye Birdie. The show will be performed on March 13th at 7 p.m. and March 14th at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in advance at https://tmsbirdie.brownpapertickets.com or at the door before each show. We hope to see you there!
Support Tamanend Players at Broadway Cares on February 25 at CB South
Reminder--Next Tamanend Parent Book Club is March 10
Bailando salsa en La Luna
On Thursday, February 13, 9th Grade students went on a cultural field trip to La Luna Dance Studio. Students learned the history of swing and salsa dancing, and then learned the basic steps of both swing and salsa. After their dance lessons, students enjoyed a live performance by professional salsa dancers! Students finished the day with a delicious French and Caribbean lunch that included French bread and salad, arroz con pollo, quiche, tostones, tres leches cake and eclairs. The enthusiasm (and dance moves!) of the students and teachers made it a great day for everyone!
February's Featured Teacher is Mr. Ketler
For the month of February, I had the pleasure of interviewing Mr. Ketler! Mr. Ketler has been a teacher for 15 years and his favorite part of teaching is seeing his students grow and become successful. Besides teaching 9th Grade, Mr. Ketler has taught grades 6, 8, 10, 11, and 12. Outside of school, Mr. Ketler loves to stay active by coaching Tamanend’s 8th Grade Baseball team, running, swimming, studying jujitsu, and spending time with his family and friends. Mr. Ketler’s favorite genre of music is Rock and his favorite author is Steven King. Pizza is Mr. Ketler’s favorite food. Some of Mr. Ketler’s favorite vacation spots include Seattle Washington, the Caribbean, and San Francisco. Mr. Ketler attended Arcadia University. When Mr. Ketler retires he sees himself teaching Science Education at a college and becoming a small business owner.
Submitted by: Paige Smithkors
Photo by: Shannon Adams
Reminder--Program Planning for 2020-2021
Program Planning for the 2020-2021 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website. Please note that the Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 will be available on January 18. The Program of Students booklet for Grade 9-12 will be available on January 4. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- January 2--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online. Click here to view.
- January 6--Program planning assembly for current 9th Graders (during school day)
- January 9--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders) 6:30 PM at CB South High School
- January 17--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at https://www.cbsd.org/domain/387
- January 17 to February 9--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 29--Program planning assembly for current 7th Graders
- January 30--Program planning assembly for current 8th Graders
- February 10--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 7th Graders
- February 13--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 7th Graders
- February 25--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 8th Graders
- March 3--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 8th Graders
- March 20--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 9th Graders
- March 26--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Advisory teachers for current 9th Graders
Reminder--Parent Volunteers Needed for Freshman Dance Preparations
We are currently looking for parents who would be interested in helping to setup and prepare for the Freshman Dance, scheduled for June 5th. Parents of students in any grade level are welcome to attend. Please click here to for additional information.
Reminder--Tamanend Homework Club
If your child is looking for a quiet place to complete their homework or a place to receive extra support with a challenging assignment and/or prepping for a test, the Homework Club is the place for him or her. The Homework Club at Tamanend Middle School will be held in the Cafeteria on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 until 4:00. Peer tutoring will also be offered for students that are interested. The goal of the Tamanend Homework Club is to assist our students in tapping into their full potential by giving them a quiet, supportive place to complete their homework.
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
Student Assistance Program (SAP)
Reminder--Help is Down the Hall
The Tamanend Student Assistance Program (SAP) Team is a group of trained faculty members who can connect students with appropriate help and resources if they show signs of struggling with mental health concerns or alcohol/substance use. If you notice concerns such as major changes in behavior or mood, drop in achievement, or use of drugs or alcohol, then you may consider a SAP referral. When the team receives a referral, we gather more information to determine if there is a need for intervention and further assessment. The information is confidential, and the process is for the purpose of offering help. Anyone can refer a student about whom they are concerned. Referrals can be made at this referral link or by contacting a SAP team member:
Mrs. Barlow, Mrs. Cammann, Sra. Corsino, Mr. Dudley, Mr. Heisey,
Mr. Klein, Mrs. Myrtetus, Ms. Scheffey, & Mrs. Szagola
Reminder--Free Mental Health Support Group for Teens
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
UPCOMING SOUTHSIDE EVENTS
CB South Ice Hockey
Game #1 - Monday 2/24
vs CB West, Hatfield Ice @ 7:20 pm
The JV Titans continue their regular season with a Friday night game vs Plymouth Whitemarsh, 8:50 pm @ Hatfield Ice
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Drug & Alcohol Awareness Event--February 24
EventBrite quick link for childcare and registration: www.cbsd.org/parentpositive
Quick link for event details and bios of our panelists: www.cbsd.org/awareness2020
Quick link to contribute questions for the panel discussion: www.cbsd.org/panelquestions
Promotional video by District Attorney Watt Weintraub https://vimeo.com/390058435
Promotional video by Dr. Christine Roussel, Director of Pharmacy at Doylestown Hospital https://vimeo.com/392547270
Bridging the Gap: iSmart Parent Meeting--March 19
CB East to Present Hunchback of Notre Dame
Based on the Victor Hugo novel and songs from the 1996 Disney animated feature, The Hunchback of Notre Dame showcases the film’s Academy Award-nominated music and Hugo’s classic, powerful story. This compelling story showcases themes such as faith, power, discrimination, isolation, and sacrifice. The award winning CB East Patriot Players are proud to produce this beautiful musical and honored to share a powerful message of acceptance that will resonate with each member of the audience! Tickets are going fast but can still be purchased with the attached ticket order form or online: Hunchback Online Tickets!
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Workshops for Issues Impacting Children
Nominate a Tamanend Student for the Boomerang Award
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award, it is a district-wide monthly program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by one of the chosen Developmental Assets®. These Developmental Assets were identified as a set of skills, experiences, relationships and behaviors that enable young people to develop into successful and contributing adults.
Nominations for February's Boomerang Asset are due by Friday, 02/21. The chosen for February is Asset #26: Caring. Recognizing a young person who cares about others. They place a high value on helping other people. Please submit your nomination through this link. Thank you in advance for your nomination
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
Please consider supporting TMS while you shop:
Giant Food Stores
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in box tops to the attention of NJHS.
Box Tops for Education
You can now simply scan your receipts to participate in the Box Tops 4 Education program to support Tamanend Middle School. Click on the link below to learn more:
You may also submit your receipts directly to Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office and we will scan them for you. Thank you for your support of our school.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, March 19th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900