October 2015 Volume 1, Issue 2
Walnut Creek Teachers Association
The life force of any union is its membership. Member participation and mobilization is the only way we can use our union to make positive changes.
It can be intimidating to get involved, but here are some ways you can take part to stand up for yourself and your co-workers.
9 Ways to Get Involved
- Read union communications (like this one).
- Check out the unions' websites. CTA NEA
- Familiarize yourself with the union agreements - our master contract.
- Notify your site reps with concerns. (See below for who they are.)
- Help foster a workplace based on trust and solidarity.
- Attend your union meetings. (See below for upcoming dates!)
- Consider running for union office.
- Participate in union trainings, educational forums and conferences.
- Mentor new employees and fellow union members and share your knowledge and wisdom that you have gained in your years as a teacher.
Notice of Elections
Using School Space for Outside Work
Walnut Festival Parade
CTA Leadership Conference
... take 20 minutes of quiet each day to cultivate your own greatness
Begin your day with: 5 minutes to appreciate the quiet and settle your mind.
Reach for greatness: 5 minutes to talk yourself into greatness; remind yourself of your talents and strengths.
Attitude adjustment, all things positive: 5 minutes to be grateful for all that you have.
Change your perspective: 5 minutes to envision the future and all the possibilities for greatness that it holds.
End your night with momentum in sight... "Don't grow weary" of being the best teacher you can be.
November WCTA Meeting
Thursday, Nov. 5th, 3:30-5pm
2425 Walnut Boulevard
Walnut Creek, CA
Vice President: Alan Siegel
Secretary: Mary Claire Caron
Treasurer: Steve Malton
Rep at Large: Krista Smith
Bargaining Team: Cheryl Metro (WCI), Courtney Hesse (MW), Laura Duggan (TC), Petra Sauve (PM), Sam Dix (IV), Shelly Pattison (BV), Vickie Rohan (WH)
Site Representatives: Vangie Santos-Ong and Sue Gates (BV), Joan Fournier (IV), Julie Craik and Michele Blank (MW), Tara Smallman (PM), Pam Mooers (TC), Shauna Tatum (WH), Lisa Muniz and Sarah Kious (WCI)