Dragon Roar: 8.23.20, Week 2
Daring greatly in faith, academics, and service since 1960.
Week 2: Celebrating St. Monica, Peter is our ROCK, and Powering on!!
Thank you for an amazing first week full of patience, excitement, and learning together!!
Our Dragon Roar will be organized a little bit differently this year to support you and released every Sunday:
1) Get Ready: Due This Week--Weekly Survey, Updates, Items to Complete
- This section will have what needs to be done for the week and lessons learned by all.
- Important announcements will be here!
2) Get Set: Planning Ahead---Events and Dates to Remember
- This section will have what to anticipate in the Month ahead
3) Let's Go: Highlights from the Week, Links to Virtual School Tools AND Gospel Reflection
- Pictures submitted by you and your teachers (email email@example.com your favorite online learning assignments and pictures!)
- Weekly Gospel Reflection
In today's Gospel, Jesus commissions our first church to Peter, giving him the keys to the kingdom. We are reminded today that our Church is built on the foundation of faith in Jesus Christ. At the very end of today's Dragon Roar, you will see a great video to break down today's gospel as a family! What can we learn from Peter as we start our second week of learning together online?
We are all in this together, firmly rooted NO MATTER WHAT!
Ms. Salazar | Principal
1) Get Ready: Family Survey & Updates
Updates for Week 2
- SURVEYS Please complete the two surveys below by Tuesday for Check in and Thursday for Sports.
- MASS Our Mass live stream did not work on Friday and we powered through reading today's gospel and singing in worship. We will have Mass fixed this Friday for 8:15AM live stream!
- PARTICIPATION GRADES Like last week, all grades this week are for participation (not correctness) as we practice using our tools. We will begin assessing for achievement the week of Aug. 31.
- TEACHER NEWS Teachers will begin their weekly newsletter the week of Aug. 31.
- GUARDIAN SUMMARY If you have not already, sign up to monitor your student's google classroom (get guardian summary). This email from Google Classroom will give you all due dates for the week and updates on assignments.
- PSA from your Teachers: We know controlling distractions at home is difficult and we understand! Please continue work with your student to create their learning zone where distractions can be minimized. We appreciate all you have done to support!!!
Needed for All: 1st Week Check In, Due Tues Aug. 25
5th-8th Middle School Survey: Sports & Orchestra, Due Aug. 27
Tech Hacks Learned This Week
Sound Issues on your Chromebook? Chromebook slowing down? Needs an Update and Cleaning! See below.
If your machine starts to act up, you most likely need an update and/or to clean up your machine. See below for step by step directions.
If your machine still does not work after this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Too much "lag" when talking on Zoom?
One hack is to turn off your video while talking. We tested this out with MS on Friday and almost all of the students that experienced "lag" with their voice were able to speak clearly.
So while we want the camera on when needed, if you are experiencing lag, please turn off the video while talking and you should be much clearer! Just remember to turn your camera back on when done.
Feast Day of St. Monica: St. Monica Morning Prayer and Evening Mass with Parish
Thursday, Aug. 27th, 8:30am-6:30pm
Zoom and Facebook!
We have been praying the 9 day Novena prayer with St. Monica in anticipation of her feast day. On Thursday we will celebrate her feast day!
8:30AM Prayer: We will celebrate the feast of St. Monica together.
6:30PM: Parish Mass Live Streamed HERE
2) Get Set: Upcoming Events & Schedule
Save the Date: Family Orientation for Face to Face Instruction AND Virtual/Hybrid Families
Tuesday, Sep. 8th, 5:30-6:30pm
- Review Daily Arrival and Dismissal Schedule
- Explain logistics of Student Orientation Days 9/9 to 9/11
- Explain Hybrid model: what will virtual students do during this time?
- Discuss Safety Procedures and Daily Routine/Schedule for Face to Face AND virtual
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 362 174 5604
August and September Dates to Save
Fri, Sept 4: Half Day, Dismissal at 12 PM
Mon, Sept. 7: No School, Labor Day
Tues, Sept. 8: Family Orientation for Face to Face Instruction with Hybrid Model, Review NEW schedule: 5:30PM to 6:30PM on Zoom
Wed, Sept. 9- Fri, Sept 11: Face to Face Instruction Orientation Days for STUDENTS Programming from 8:00AM to 12PM, Arrival from 7:30AM to 8:00AM by Alphabet.
- By FAMILY, all students from each family attend the day with your YOUNGEST child.
- Wednesday: Families with PreK or Kinder Students
- Thursday: Families with 1st to 4th Grade Students
- Friday: Families with Middle School Students
Mon, Sept 14: Face to Face Instruction begins for PreK to 8th Grade, Virtual Students Zoom in with NEW schedule
- Please note: Morning care available starting at 7AM (free of charge), After school care until 5:30PM (ASC rates apply--Monthly or 1 business day notice drop-in)
- First Period Start Times: 7:30AM for Prek/K, 7:45AM for 1st-4th, 8AM for 5th to 8th
- Dismissal: 2:45PM-3PM for Prek/K, 3-3:15PM for 1st-4th, 3:15PM-3:30PM for 5th to 8th
Friday, Sept. 18: Half Day
11:30AM Dismissal for Prek/K
11:45AM for 1st-4th
12:00PM for 5th-8th
3) Let's Go: Highlights from the Week, Links for Virtual School and Today's Gospel
Need Help? Need Team Emails?
Daily Class VIRTUAL Schedule
Virtual School Schedule
- Monday to Thursday: School starts at 8:30AM with an ALL school check-in, prayer, exercise, song, and dance! LINK HERE and on Schedule! Meeting ID: 362 174 5604, Passcode: 1960
- Friday: School starts at 8:15AM with live stream of Mass. LINK HERE and on Schedule! Meeting ID: 362 174 5604, Passcode: 1960
21st Sunday in Ordinary Time: Peter is the Rock of our Church
Children's Liturgy of the Word, August 23, 2020
Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way to something unknown, something new.
And yet it is the law of all progress
that it is made by passing through some stages of instability—
and that it may take a very long time.
And so I think it is with you;
your ideas mature gradually—let them grow,
let them shape themselves, without undue haste.
Don’t try to force them on,
as though you could be today what time
(that is to say, grace and circumstances acting on your own goodwill)
will make of you tomorrow.
Only God could say what this new spirit
gradually forming within you will be.
Give Our Lord the benefit of believing
that his hand is leading you,
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
in suspense and incomplete.
Prayer of Teilhard de Chardin
Saint Monica, PRAY FOR US!!!