BME Staff Update
February 16, 2019
Team Meadow -
A few priority items:
ZCS PD Day on Tuesday at Pleasant View and ESC.
- Some info is included below. In addition, I will send an email with more details.
- Feel free to wear appropriate jeans with BME or ZCS spirit wear top.
- We will have a variety of coffee, creamer, and other breakfast snacks.
Staff meeting with Dr. Robison on Wednesday (2/20) after dismissal. He will be here to share about community growth, enrollment impact, and facility needs.
Dr. Seuss - This past week, I was enlightened to Dr. Seuss' checkered past that has become a bit controversial over the past couple of years. In effort to strengthen our cultural understandings and out of respect for our increasing diversity, I am including a link to an article from the School LIbrary Journal which provides additional insight.
Article from School Library Journal:
No one can discount his impact on early literacy. However, with our need and desire to be culturally responsive to our community, I believe we should move forward with sensitivity. The NEA pulled back on "Dr. Seuss Read Across America Day" in 2017, and now I understand why. When I was teaching, there were some of his books that I didn't want on my classroom shelves because of the way some people groups were portrayed. Now I understand a little bit more why. We are all learning and growing.
Upon learning this, I respectfully request that we not set aside time/days to "celebrate" Dr. Seuss. I am not calling for censorship of his work or removal of all Dr. Seuss books. Rather, I expect our team of professionals honor and respect our increasingly diverse school family.
I preferred for us to have live conversation on this topic, but with March 1 (Dr. Seuss' birthday) rapidly approaching , I wanted to make everyone aware. Thank you for understanding.
On a positive note:
Lastly, while screening and interviewing candidates for Kathryn's 2nd grade class, I am reminded and energized by the wonderful happenings and talents at Boone Meadow. For those of you that are ever involved in this process, it is a beautiful opportunity to reflect on what we value, what we expect, and what we hope to be in this little corner of our community. Finding a "fit" for Team Meadow extends beyond any one grade level team expectations. It's about finding a colleague that impacts all spaces of our building by being a forward thinker that holds a very high belief of what children can be empowered to do no matter their age. We are stronger when we add people that move beyond a fixed mindset. I'm grateful for Team Meadow, and our desire to "Unleash the Possibilities."
Thank you for being my school family as we engage in this noble work together.
ZCS PD Day - This Tuesday, 2/19
Dear Team Meadow,
We are excited to come together as a district for a day of professional learning on February 19, 2019.
- Check in will begin at 7:40 PM at Pleasant View Elementary for all certified staff (except counselors).
- Doors 14 (main office) and 30 (bus lot) will be open.
- When you arrive, you will check in by getting your nametag in the hallway outside of the upper café. You can then proceed to your morning location.
- Counselors, please note that your day will begin at ESC.
Please refer to your email inbox for the chart which contains additional details regarding the day. Everyone will attend Dyslexia Legislative Training at some point during the day. This will be held in the Upper Café.
The remaining portions of the day will be dedicated to work with grade level/teaching teams in various locations throughout the building. In the chart, you will find the submitted topics for discussion. Grade level/teaching teams will be working in the same larger spaces, so you can easily collaborate if you choose to do so and as opportunities avail.
Please review the topics for your team, and be sure that you have the materials that you might need for the day. Resource teachers are asked to select a grade level with whom they work to collaborate with during the work time.
Lunch will be set up in the hallway between Upper and Lower Cafés beginning at 11:45. It will be catered by El Toro. Lunch will be available until 12:50, so come eat whenever you are hungry. You can eat in the Lower Café or in your grade level work space.
Thanks for coming prepared for this day of learning.
Calendar Items & Information
18th - Presidents Day (No School)
19th -Teacher Professional Development Day (No School)
21st - 1st Grade Field Trip to NIFS
22nd - Spirit Day - Scrabble Day (wear a shirt with a letter of your choice on it); BOX TOPS due
22nd-24th - 1st Grade (and some 2nd graders) OLSAT testing
28th - Dine for Dollars @ Flamme Burger 4-8 PM
1st - Coffee Talk with Matt Doublestein (Principal at ZWMS) for parents of 4th gr students 8- 9 AM
1st-15th - DigiLab
2nd - BME Blast 11:00-2:00 PM
11th-14th - 2nd Grade Informances
12th - Blood Drive 2:00-7:00 PM Cafe
13th - Spirit Day - One Color Day; PTO Meeting in Cafe @ 6 PM
18th - ZCS Growth Forum w/ Dr. Robison @ 6:30-8:00 PM Cafe
18th-22nd - Book Fair and 1st Grade Informances
20th - Dine for Dollars at Buffalo Wild Wings (all day)
21st - Wellness Night 6:00-7:30 PM
22nd - PTO Boone Meadow Mixer
26th - Kindergarten Round-Up (Pre-registration info available on 2/26)
29th - April 7 - Spring Break
10th - PTO Mtg
12th - Spirit Day - Twin Day
17th - 3rd grade music performance @ 6:30 PM
23rd - ILEARN testing window opens (3rd/4th gr)
24th - Spirit Day - Who's Your Hero Day; Dine for Dollars @ McAlisters Deli 5-8 PM
Our PD Day on Feb. 19th is in PD Express!
Below are directions to sign up for this PD (for Certified Staff):
· Log into PDExpress
· Hover over In District PD then choose In District PD Catalog
· In the top left corner, under your name, you will see 2 tabs: List and Calendar-choose Calendar
· The January calendar will be showing so click the NEXT button to go to the February Calendar
· The Elementary PD Day 2019 will be found on Feb. 19th (there is a green check mark next to it)-choose this!
· A new screen will pop up and in the top right corner will be a REGISTER button-Click it!
· The last screen asks you to submit and that’s it! You are registered!
Please register before February 19th! Thank you!
Boone Meadow Mixer - Friday Evening, March 22nd
It may seem early, but now's the time to get March 22nd on your calendar. Please consider attending this special PTO sponsored event on the evening of March 22nd. It’s a great opportunity to enjoy each other and connect in a relaxed atmosphere. Based on last year's experience, I believe many of you found the evening quite enjoyable.
Keep in mind:
- Begin thinking about teacher experiences to make available for the auction.
- PTO will have (one) free ticket set aside for each BME staff member should you attend.
- Additional tickets for spouses or any additional staff guests will be available.
Free Event- REJECT Documentary Film
Who: School Staff, Parents, Students*, Community Members
(*recommended for students 5th grade and above but younger students are welcome to attend)
When: February, 26th, 2019 at 6:00 PM
Where: Zionsville Performing Arts Center
Click here to secure your FREE seats.FREE childcare provided, register here.
Personal Business Leave Requests
For Certified Team Members:To requests "personal business days," please complete the following process.
- Go to the following link, and complete the "personal business request" form. https://goo.gl/forms/CycfilABEUyILbh83
- Once the form is completed, please send a brief email to me (Tom) that includes the date(s) of your request(s).
- Enter your upcoming absence in AESOP as soon as possible. (It can always be deleted later should plans change.)