LVHS Staff Newsletter
Excellence in Everything.
Monday, December 8, 2014
Most of us end up with no more than five or six people who remember us. Teachers have thousands of people who remember them for the rest of their lives. Andy Rooney
Please make taking attendance a priority!
Semester Exam Schedule:
Please be sure to be prepared to give a semester test in the following period classes on the following dates:
Tuesday, December 16: Periods 1 and 2
Wednesday, December 17: Periods 7 and 8
Thursday, December 18: Periods 3 and 4
Friday, December 19: Periods 5 and 6 (early release at 11:10 that day)
Lunch will be served from 11:15-11:45 am and then bus riders will sit in the MAC until buses come at 12:30.
End of the Nine Weeks...
1. Grades - these are due by 4:00 pm on Monday, January 5 (this is a teacher workday - no training). Tyra will print proof sheets Tuesday morning, January 6. You will need to review, correct, sign and return the proof sheets TO TYRA by 4:00 pm on Tuesday, January 6. We will print report cards Wednesday and mail them out Friday.
Remember - you may not put down a failing grade for a student if you have not contacted their parents ahead of time regarding the potential failure.
2. Nine Weeks Feedback Forms - After receiving some feedback from you all, I am making a few changes. I will email out the new and improved form ASAP (I have learned that a google doc does not work well for the feedback form). Feedback forms will be due to me or Eric by 4:00 pm on Monday, January 5. We will hold conferences, when needed, the second week of the new semester.
Make sure you are aware of all the new requirements for Canvas next nine weeks. Randy will be working with you to prepare!!!!
TechNotes from Randy!
I can not believe that the years is almost half over. As we approach the new year, we also approach a new set of expectations for the use of Canvas. We have been focusing on Assignment shells for the most part of the year, which I am confident that we all know how to use.
The focus for the rest of the year is going to be on how to use Canvas to make our education environment more efficient. We will meet next Tuesday for our final Tech Tuesday of the semester and go over the expectations for next semester.
Some quick tips on use of HDMI cables.
Make sure that you have the correct output selected for your sound. To set the correct output goto System Preferences> Sound> Output and select PJ Projector
After much tinkering I found the best resolution is 720p. To set the resolution, while the HDMI cable is connected, go to System Preferences> Displays>
Restrictive Student Profiles
We have begun to place some of our struggling students on a restrictive profile. This profile will be strictly academically focused, no non-school apps, no iMessenger, No Facetime.
Students can be placed on this profile in one of three ways poor academic performance, classroom behavior, and parent request.
Please contact me if you have any further questions, or have concerns about a student.
National Ugly Holiday Sweater!
Click on the link below for inspiration:
Goodwill is a great place to find ugly sweaters if you don't already have one. And homemade ones are often the best. Get in the spirit and show your school spirit at the same time! Yeah!!
Feedback on Lockdown Drill!
1. You should never dismiss by anything but a person with a key opening up your door. (In future drills, fake out announcements will probably be a regular along with fake out door knocks.)
2. Students in the bathroom should stay in the stalls. By the time they get out and get to a classroom, the doors will be locked. Then they are going to be stuck in the hallway, alone. Not good.
3. God forbid we ever have a real lockdown. If we do, I would block the doors with furniture and put yourself as far away from possibly getting shot as possible. Morbid, but worth thinking about ahead of time.
KEEP YOUR DOOR LOCKED AT ALL TIMES!
In general, great job on our first two drills!
Don't forget the Duong-Mathisen baby shower is on Wednesday!
December 10, Wednesday, at 3:00 in Andrew Larkin's Art room. Their theme is robots (how fitting!).
This is great website to check out and find good gifts!
It's Secret Santa, Secret Santa time!
Next week, everyone will be getting something special each day! Those of you doing Secret Santa will receive a daily goody from your Santa AND the office staff will be providing something for everyone each day! WooHoo!!
Be sure to drop by the front office to partake in your respective goody:
Monday - Oatmeal cookies and apple cider in Mrs. Slaughter's office on Monday!
Tuesday - A little gift surprise in your box!
Wednesday - Happy hour Sonic drinks (make sure your order is updated)
Thursday - Hot Chocolate 'bar' in the workroom!
Friday - Luncheon at Faculty meeting/Secret Santa reveal (12:30 in the Workroom)
Just a little thank you for being such awesome people and teachers! This is a great place to work because of the people who work here! Thanks for all you do!
Keep Lago Vista High School Beautiful!
Reminder on what to do if the iPad eats a student's homework...
Need an interpreter for a Spanish-speaking parent?
Leaving campus between 7:30 and 4?
On the Calendar...
Don't forget...early release on Friday, December 19, at 11:10. Lunch from 11:10 - 11:45, buses pick up at 12:30.
Need the PC Lab?
Referrals? Just in case you need it!
How to write some one a discipline referral...in six easy steps!!
1) Log onto Eduphoria...if you need help with this step, let us know!
2) Select "Formspace"
3) On the bottom left, select "Submit New Form"
4) Select "General Forms"
5) Select LVHS Discipline Form
6) Fill out the form and hit "Submit"!
Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.