Types of Mining and Fracking
Surface and Subsurface Mining
- Used when there is a very large area that an ore bed lays on
- Removal of rock over a layer a coal
- Where the tops of mountains are removed, exposing coal
Subsurface Mining- This is where the ores and other minerals lie far beneath the ground, making the extraction difficult. They gain access to these minerals by creating a horizontal tunnel or a vertical tunnel , which is dangerous. There are three types of subsurface mining, Slope, Drift and, Shaft mining.
- A sloping mine travels downwards diagonal, instead of vertical or horizontal.
- Horizontal passage way into the mine
- Vertical passage way into the mine
Examples Surface and Subsurface mining
- Strip mining- Mountains are blown apart, leaving permanent damage on landscape
- Open-pit mining- Exposes mountains and rocks
- Mountain top removal- Destroys mountains