Miss Branchick's Newsletter
March 21-25, 2016
Family Fun Night
I'm already planning to have another one at the end of the year to celebrate all of our shared successes in third grade!
Also, a big thanks to those who were able to bring drinks and snacks!
Groups of students worked together build the tallest structure using just spaghetti noodles, string, tape, and marshmallows.
The group who could get their marshmallow the highest, was the winner!
The students worked on this challenge to see how rules and jobs are a necessary component in every day life.
Homework this week
There is a math review packet and reading review packet.
4 pages of Rocket Math need to be turned in by Friday for all students who have not mastered all four operations on Math Fact Mastery.
*Any student who turned in all of their homework that was due on March 18th, was given a the week off from homework!
This week in room 506
Monday- Lesson 15-1 Using decimeters and centimeters
Tuesday- Lesson 15-2 Using kilometers and meters
Wednesday- Lesson 15-3 Units of capacity
Thursday- Lesson 15-4 Units of mass
Friday- Unit 14 Assessment
Monday- Lesson 1-7A
Wednesday- Topic 1 Performance Assessment
Thursday- Topic 2 Pretest
Friday- Third grade enrichment/Fourth grade review (will start Topic 2 after break)
Unit 5 Week 2
- Strategy: Summarize
- Skill: Point of View
- Genre: Realistic Fiction
- Vocab: Homographs
- Phonics: Inflectional Endings/ Suffixes (-ful, -less, -able)
1. conservation- Conservation is the care of natural resources.
2. discouraged- When people are discouraged, they are made to feel like giving up.
3. frustration- Frustration is a feeling of being upset because you can't do or have something.
4. gaze- To gaze is to look steadily at something.
5. jubilant- To feel jubilant is to feel very happy or joyful.
6. recycling- Recycling is putting objects or materials through a special process so they can be used again.
7. remaining- Something remaining is still in a certain place.
8. tinkered- If you have ever tinkered with something, then you have made small changes to it.
Spelling Words: Inflectional Endings
- Tumblebooks (username northelementary / password books)
- Symbaloo (username firstname.lastname@example.org / password room506) - this website has links to kid approved websites we use at school)
- IXL - a great website for students to practice skills from any subject!
Tumblebooks is registered for grades K-4 so North and South share.