CMC Weekly Newsletter
September 24, 2015
Welcome Students! This is the place to get important information, updates and shout outs! Brought to you by the CMC!!
Star Student of the Week: Kristin McLinn
Kristin McLinn is a 2nd year student in the full-time MBA concentrating in Marketing and completing the SEER Certificate. Last year, Kristin prepped hard for the NSHMBA National Career Fair and was able to land a variety of interviews with some great companies. She ended up accepting a marketing internship with Pfizer and while she learned quite a lot there, she also realized that she needed to have stronger analytical skills even in marketing, so she chose to do an optional, part-time internship this Fall while also continuing her studies.
Currently, Kristin is even busier preparing to attend NSHMBA again this year and building from the experience of last year as well as working with her Career Coach, she is writing detailed summaries on each of her targeted companies, applying for positions with them and conducting informational interviews, so that she will be able to impress them even more as she positions herself to successfully launch her career in Brand Management with a CPG company. Great Job Kristin!!
Preparing your Elevator Speech
An elevator speech is as essential as a business card. You need to be able to say who you are, what you do, what you are interested in doing and how you can be a resource to your listeners. If you donʹt have an elevator speech, people wonʹt know what you really do.
Here are some helpful hints to help you get started:
1. Know your audience - Before writing any part of your elevator speech, research your audience.
2. Know yourself - Before you can convince anyone of your proposition you need to know exactly what it is.
3. Outline your talk - Start an outline of your material using bullet points. You donʹt need to add any detail at this stage; simply write a few notes to help remind you of what you really want to say.
4. Finalize your speech - Now that you have your outline of your material, you can finalize the speech. The key to doing this is to expand on the notes you made by writing out each section in full.
To find out more on how to write an effective elevator speech go to this website: https://bschool.pepperdine.edu/career-services/content/elevatorspeech.pdf
Gallup Information Session
At Gallup, we have great people, the best people. The work we do exudes our world-class talent. But that’s not enough; we want to add to our roster of brilliant consultants who work relentlessly to make this world a better place.
THAT’S WHERE YOU COME IN.
You have an advanced degree, which signifies your drive for greatness. You are a self-starter, willing to do what it takes to help clients uncover their most challenging problems. Your influence is apparent, and you have a natural demeanor that drives people to greatness. You’re an innovator who will solve clients’ most critical business challenges by providing long-term, actionable advice.
JOIN OUR TEAM OF TOP-NOTCH CONSULTANTS, AND PUT YOUR GREATEST STRENGTHS TO WORK.
Please join Director of Talent Sourcing, Susan Shald as she shares more information about Gallup and their potential career opportunities.
Irvine Gallup Office Session: October 6, 2015, 5:30PM
Malibu Pepperdine Campus Session: October 21, 2015, 12:00PM
***Gallup also holds Workshops that help you improve your talents and skills in becoming a consultant.
Strengths-Based Business Development Workshop
November 8, 2015, 8:30AM
Located at the UCI Campus
Register for all these events through the Career Portal.
- September 22-26: National Black MBA Association Conference/Career Fair
- October 1: AT&T Full Time LDP Applications Due!!! (2nd Year MBA Students ONLY!)
- October 2: AT&T Case Competition
- October 6 - 5:30pm: Gallup Information Session (Gallup Irvine Offices)
- October 7: AT&T Full Time LDP On Campus Interviews - MBA's ONLY!
- October 8-10: National Society of Hispanic MBAs Conference/Career Fair
- October 8-10: Reaching Out (LGBT MBA) Conference/Career Fair
- October 21 - 12pm: Gallup Information Session (Malibu Campus)
- October 23: Cornerstone OnDemand MBA Trek
Register for these events through the Career Portal! Space is limited!